Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Brake Booster & ABS/TCS lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jfirko
Yeah! Finally done with it. Brakes feel better than ever. Scanner worked to get the air out. I was able to take the switch out and reset it. It has a racheting mechanism inside that adjusts after install and needs readjusted with a new booster. Of course a new switch would work too.

Someone else wrote this explanation of the switch reset, may help someone else: " Pull the switch out and take apart cover of main ratchet assembly. Reset the ratchet by twisting 90 degree and slide the black internal slide to max extension reward and reassemble. Remove the green electrical switch portion by turning 45 degrees and unplug the wire, inside of switch end of the plug is a small white plastic flat connected to switch arm.Catch the small slide with a small sharp point (has a small square in it for this purpose) and pull fully to rear (blade end) of the switch and release. This should allow the activation arm to fully pop out to max length, reassemble to ratchet assembly, install while pressing the brake pedal in and away from the switch. Release the brake lever and it will ratchet back to the to correct length."

Thanks again for your help.
I was wondering since this problem seems resolved if you can provide me with some addition guidance. Is there somewhere that has this documented so that I can read up on it? I need a little more information. We have a 2009 CX-9, Ford replaced brake booster and brake light switch. The brake lights stay on and the traction control light comes on. The brakes were bleed by Ford. Took it to Mazda, they replaced the switch several times. Problem still occurs where the brake lights stay on and the traction control warning light illuminates. Kind of shocked that Mazda has not been very helpful here.

Brake light switch. Looks like it isn't sitting properly.