Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Cx-9 2012 Brake Noise (not calipers or flex lines)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 07:53 AM
Default Cx-9 2012 Brake Noise (not calipers or flex lines)

I changed front pads and rotars on my 2012 cx-9; and after doing so, the brakes were smoking after driving for a while and squealing at stop lights. Like something was heating up. So then, took to my mechanic and he did all new (front) calipers, rotars, pads, and flex lines. After all of that, the car still makes a terrible noise. Smoking is TBD stil but it seems like something is sticking on. See video link below.

It seems isolated to the front right. The noise mostly occurs at slow speeds to a near stop. I initially thought it was only after things got hot, but now it seems even just moving it in my driveway it makes a loud hum. Pedal also feels squishy possibly (I am not the primary driver so I can't recall with certainty at this point if they felt any better before). I would usually chaulk this up to a caliper, but they are brand new.

So now i'm chasing ABS module, Master, or Booster. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-15-2024, 09:33 AM

Your mechanic missed something. Take it back to whomever did the brake job!

The sound can be cause from numerous things all need to be looked at and tested. Or if the car is on a X brace hoist you can have the mechanic rotate the wheel apply the brakes and find the source of the sound. Most of the time it is caused from a brake pad that was super heated or a new pad not "bed-in" properly? Until the car is off the ground for inspection it is anyone "GUESS".

Based on your info and the short video in the rocks(lol) Not likely these:
"So now i'm chasing ABS module, Master, or Booster. Anyone have any ideas?"

Last edited by Callisto; 07-15-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Your mechanic missed something. Take it back to whomever did the brake job!

The sound can be cause from numerous things all need to be looked at and tested. Or if the car is on a X brace hoist you can have the mechanic rotate the wheel apply the brakes and find the source of the sound. Most of the time it is caused from a brake pad that was super heated or a new pad not "bed-in" properly? Until the car is off the ground for inspection it is anyone "GUESS".

Based on your info and the short video in the rocks(lol) Not likely these:
"So now i'm chasing ABS module, Master, or Booster. Anyone have any ideas?"
Thanks for the reply. Ya the mechanic has looked it all over and is stumped by it. He actually didnt charge me for the rotars pads and flex lines since it didn't resolve the issue.

I agree that next step is lifting and wheel testing to chase this down a bit more so I'll likely do that tonight with another mechanic and report back if I can give a better indicaiton on anything.

Old 07-15-2024, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by CamT07
Thanks for the reply. Ya the mechanic has looked it all over and is stumped by it. He actually didnt charge me for the rotars pads and flex lines since it didn't resolve the issue.

I agree that next step is lifting and wheel testing to chase this down a bit more so I'll likely do that tonight with another mechanic and report back if I can give a better indication on anything.
In my world there is no such thing as being "stumped". Yes I have some mechanic's and even one Auto Tech that will come ask me for an opinion but more that they are not secure with their thought but on a brake system , chassis, suspension or drivetrain there is no phrase "stumped"! lol

Your first clue that whoever worked on your Mazda does not have the best experience or training, you NEVER change any part without first verifying they are at fault or failed.

I hope the next in line (mechanic) has a little more experience? Good Luck!