Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 Coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 05:30 PM
Default CX-9 Coolant issue

I have a low-mileage 2020 CX-9 well-maintained. I saw the thread about the coolant leak-cracked head (engine replacement issue) and had a few minutes
to check my VIN # against the Technical bulletin... and low-and behold of course I have one of the engines manufactured before June 9, 2020.
From what I read in the bulletin it's covered by the Powertrain warranty which is 5 years /60k miles. So, I'm covered for another year and a half.
I'm trying to get a feel here for how often this occurs and where in the mileage area it happens. Now, I'm thinking keep it two more years and ditch it.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:42 PM

I re-read the TSB and found the following...
it said customers having a concern can get it repaired. I hope I'm reading this right.

Cracks may be caused by:
Deformation of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.

Residual stress generated during production in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The
external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of
the cylinder head.

To eliminate this concern, the design of the exhaust manifold gasket and the cylinder head has been modified to reduce
the force on the cylinder head.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:23 AM

Symptoms & Reports

If you or someone you know is exhibiting symptoms of Automotive-Hypochondria, seek medical attention immediately.The symptoms include
  • Preoccupation with having or getting a serious mechanical problem.
  • Worrying that Mazda TSBs are symptoms relating to their engine.
  • Easily alarmed by finding and reading a TSB
  • No reassurance by going to Mazda to get accurate test results.
  • Repeatedly checking Mazda forums and any and all TSB thinking it relating to their Mazda
  • Avoiding actually going to a Mazda dealership with their concerns
  • Constant talk about a TSB instead of booking appointments with a Mazda dealership
  • Not reading the disclaimer on a TSB that it is for MAZDA service technicians and not necessary for the general public and why..... because the Automotive-Hypochondria spreads easily among forums and unqualified members reading them thinking it affects their Mazda.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:07 PM

So you're busting my ***** because my 2020 CX-9 has a VIN# that is in the range of the Vin#s affected. I'm researching because I don't want to get stuck with a huge repair.
I'm covered for about a year and a half with this cracked block possible issue.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by edscx-9
So you're busting my ***** because my 2020 CX-9 has a VIN# that is in the range of the Vin#s affected. I'm researching because I don't want to get stuck with a huge repair.
I'm covered for about a year and a half with this cracked block possible issue.
The advice is to go to a MAZDA dealerships service department and ask them the advice as well can check your MAZDA. simple enough?
finding support from people on a forum with a yet none existed issue or for unconfirmed similar problems that unless all the same conditions are exactly like your MAZDA will be pretty much useless information and is not in your best direction?
Let me put it another way if you were to come into the shop with this question, I would look over your Mazda's information check for any TSBs and see that if there was any covering a possible or known condition send you off to a MAZDA dealership advising only that they register your VIN and check you Mazda because you would still be under Mazda's warranty. Thats what generally we do with customers like yours that some don't know that they really should be talking to the dealership.

ASE