Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 RSES DVD screen repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 10:36 AM
Default 2008 Mazda CX-9, rear dvd player black screen repair

Originally Posted by Scatterbrained
So very recently I had an issue where the screen on my CX-9 would black out if opened all the way. Mazda wants $5,000 for the replacement ceiling mounted DVD player. Meanwhile a search of the internet didn't turn up much, so I figured I take it apart myself and see what the issue was. I was thinking it was likely a cable issue, and as it turned out, it was. The fpc cable from the control board to the LCD screen had split. Needless to say these little guys can be incredibly difficult to find. I eventually did find a company in the U.S. that stocks a replacement cable, albeit about 1/2 longer. I got the cable from Digi-Key: part number WM10238-ND. The cable only costs $5.00 and takes maybe an hour to replace, if that. Just remove the DVD player from the roof, remove the LCD screen, open the back cover and switch out the cable. I figured I'd share this information in case anyone else was having this issue and looking for a way to retain the factory system without paying through the nose.
Hi Everyone, This fix worked flawlessly
the one thing I wouls strongly advice is when you are taking the unit apart specially with the ribbon cable connectors on both ends, Be really careful and do not break the preassure tabs, the ribbon cable needs to be realeased first before you can pull it.
one the dvd player end theres one preassure tab that holds the ribbon cable tight against the connecting pins, release it by pulling the tab upwards with a really fine sharp tool, i used my steak knife. Lol
on the screen side theres little ears type tabs you can softly pull with your fingernails
be gentle.
So basically The ribbon cable needs replacement since it gets cut from opening and closing the screen, i went ahead and ordered two ribbon cables since we dont know how long the cable is going to be available.
here is the link again to order the ribbon
cable
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...0%7C%20DigiKey