Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 Transmission Shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 03:16 PM
Post CX-9 Transmission Shuddering

Hi, I am new to the forum.

My 2016 CX-9 experienced the loud shuddering when driving on both local and freeway. Besides that, the vehicle seems to have shifting issue on both low and high gears. It was 101K miles. I did some research and they pointed to the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) may need to be replaced. The vehicle was at 101K miles and I was told by the dealership that the fluid can last for the vehicle life time.

I had the transmission fluid exchanged at Jiffy Lube and are no longer experiencing the shifting issue on high gears. However, the shifting still does not seem to be smoothly at low gears and the shuddering still happens 3 times since then.

Took it to the Mazda dealership. The tech did a road test and found no hard shift or shuddering (as it does not happen frequently). However, he also experienced the hard rubbing sound when accelerating in gears 1 - 3. He also found a fluid leaking from the driver side transmission mount which he thought it may be causing the harsh rubbing noise. The tech recommended to replace the mount. Part has been ordered, cost $899 before tax for part and labor.

I hope it will fix the issue and keep my fingers crossed. Not sure if the mount has anything to do with the shuddering.

Has anyone experienced something in similar? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:34 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-03-2023, 03:38 PM

Not sure what jiffy lube did so that would be something you would need to detail a little more?
The fluid will last the "LIFETIME" I am sure until the warranty is up! Automatic transmission still needs to be serviced with at least routine Pan fluid and filter service for their service life.
If they replace your mount without confirming it has failed, make sure they show and offer the part they are replacing. If it is not failed, you do not need to pay for the replacement or service.

They should not be "guessing at the part that has failed.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum
Thank you!

I should have mentioned there is no check engine light at all.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mtsd
Thank you!

I should have mentioned there is no check engine light at all.
That only means just that. But unless the person looked at pending DTC as well permanent DTC and checked the ECU records of DTC occurred and then cleared that really does not help to much. But thank you for posting the information. co

Old 08-03-2023, 03:48 PM

Hi Callisto,

Jiffy Lube performed the ATF exchange, not flush or pan drop, filter change as the location where I took my CX-9 to does not offer the more advance service.

For the transmission mount, I am not that convinced the replacement will address the issues that I am dealing with. However, the service advisor told me the tech did not think there is any issue with my transmission (which is good but he did not find what caused the problem). I guess I will just have to go with what recommended even though it will cost that much.

Last edited by mtsd; 08-03-2023 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:56 PM

Ok well I would have recommended to do a filter service. By dropping the pan you can get a better idea what condition the transmission is in. My "guess" based on what all you have just posted is that you have poor condition fluid that has cause varnish to build up in all areas of the transmission mostly effecting the valley body and it operations. This in many cases can be corrected but until the pan is dropped for inspection is all speculation on anyone's part.
I also do not recommend that (using professional transmission servicing equipment) a full transmission service be done until the inspection is first made at pan level.
You could draw a small sample and have it analyzed but I do know that it will show large amounts things that have been in your transmission and should have been removed long ago.

ASE

Old 08-03-2023, 04:05 PM

Thanks, Callisto!

So you think the shuddering (bouncing) can be caused by the dirty fluid (even after the ATF exchange at Jiffy Lube)? Should I ask the dealership to hold off on replacing the transmission mount and go with the pan drop, filter changed instead?

Old 08-03-2023, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mtsd
Thanks, Callisto!

So you think the shuddering (bouncing) can be caused by the dirty fluid (even after the ATF exchange at Jiffy Lube)? Should I ask the dealership to hold off on replacing the transmission mount and go with the pan drop, filter changed instead?
I did not say what the shudder was caused by only a plan of action to better locate and possible resolve the problem.
The other thing is the pan hold about 3.5-4 Qts and the complete transmission 10-13 Qts. Dilution fluid changes only works in the beginning and only after a filter service and follow up fluid changes at a routine intervals of transmission life not after it has over 50KL miles or problems.

As for the mount there are other way they could have better determined if it was bad. Them simply "deterring" which sounds more like a witch hunt then actual checking. Case in point if one of my service guys came to me and said that I would flat ask ..."so is it the mount or not? There is no grey area it is either broken or failing or not. Maybe this is why they are paid by the job and not the hour rate. LOL

ASE

Old 08-03-2023, 05:23 PM

Thank you, Callisto!

I just got off the phone with the service department at the dealership asking to get the pan dropped and filter replaced. The Service Advisor insisted doing the exchange will get more of the old fluid out as they will pump in around 12 quarts of new fluid. He said the filter is non-serviceable with I have to disagree as I saw a couple YouTube clips how it get replaced. Here is one:

I am still leaning toward the old dirty fluid with particles may cause the shuddering rather than the mount. Just don't want to spend close to $1K (with tax) not to get the issue addressed.

Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: CX-9 Transmission Shuddering