Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX9 Uncomfortable Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 05:44 AM
Question CX9 Uncomfortable Seats

Does anyone have any information whether Mazda has,or will address the uncomfortable seat situation on the CX9? I sent an email to Mazda asking them to address the subject, but they did not respond. I find it strange that an automobile costing almost $50K cannot have a seat that is comfortable, particularly on long trips. I am anticipating purchasing a 2021 or 2022 Signature, but wish they would do something about the seat problem. I cannot believe that Mazda would lose any money by providing a better seat, unless they have a stockpile to last for a decade. I really like the vehicle, but the seats are a big negative for me and my ailing back.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

What other manufactures have you compared seats with? Is it the CX-9 seat is generally bad, or does it not suit your back issues?

Not trying to pick on you, but what are you basing your opinion of seats on?

Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 AM

I am basing my comments on reviews of Mazda CX9 by alleged owners and other groups who have tested the automobile. I have NOT driven a CX9 to make the evaluation myself, but don't particularly want to spend that much money on a car that I will be disappointed with. I also didn't ask the question to start a 'fan loyalty' fight. The seat problem has been apparent for a number of model years and I cannot understand why the Mazda people who say they 'study the driver, not the car' in their quest for the most desirable car. My daughter has a 2019 CX5 Touring, and she concurs with the findings about the seats. I am not convinced that this problem couldn't be corrected by Mazda engineers. Other than the infotainment package, I don't find many negatives about the automobile. Very simplistic question regarding a buyer would normally be concerned with, nothing else. G'day, mate from an old Exmouth, WA sailor.

Last edited by MrBillMazda; 06-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:24 PM
Default I think you're right

The first time I sat on my CX-9 I didn't feel the seats were right. They are short, and finding a good position for long journeys is not easy or posssible. We had a 2012 CX-9 and the seats were better. Not good, but better.
Mercedes, Porsche, (cars that I've owned) have great seats. Mazda CX-9's feel underachieved and not well designed.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:47 PM

I read some negative comments about the CX9 seats during my research prior to buying our 2020 Signature about three weeks ago. We purchased from a dealer about two hours away which has been our longest trip so far. I'm 6'1, and outside of wishing the seat travel was a little longer, find the seats to be very comfortable. In fact the seat length is the same 20" as my 2019 BMW X3. The seats, in my opinion, are very high quality with the bolstering, lumbar support, and padding and by reclining the seat back a little more for the longer drives find them to be fine. I'm not sure if the seat design is any different in the Signature besides the Nappa leather but again, in my opinion, they are some of the best looking seats including the one's in my sons Range Rover Sport. We'll be doing a 17 hour drive to Florida soon so that should be the ultimate test. Will update, but I wouldn't let some seat comments stop from purchasing. The overall interior fit and finish quality I find to be outstanding.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:54 AM

MrBill, try before you buy. I won't claim that my CX9 seats are the most comfortable I've owned, but I drive 12 hours in this car and don't have a problem. I did place a Purple brand 1" seat cushion on it, and for me that's a big help. We're all different--long, short, wide, narrow--and there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all for anything.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:22 AM

I never understood on forums when members complain about the seats AFTER they bought a vehicle? That's why you test drive before you buy . If the car does not feel comfortable look at other models or brands. It has NOTHING to do with what an auto manufacture can do but what they feel from taking surveys and adjusting the most negative complaints creature comfort items from previous years improving them and hopefully will give support for greater sales volume with the newest models each year . As they say you can't please everyone but in the case of seats if you don't like them you are the minority regarding the CX9.

Last edited by Callisto; 11-10-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I never understood on forums when members complain about the seats AFTER they bought a vehicle? That's why you test drive before you buy . If the car does not feel comfortable look at other models or brands. It has NOTHING to do with what an auto manufacture can do but what they feel from taking surveys and adjusting the most negative complaints creature comfort items from previous years improving them and hopefully will give support for greater sales volume with the newest models each year . As they say you can't please everyone but in the case of seats if you don't like them you are the minority regarding the CX9.
Even worse, the guy that started the thread hasn't even driven a CX9 to make his own decision. Preemptively complaining about a problem that might not even exist. I'm a little more insane from reading this thread

Old 11-10-2021, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yeah I never understood this either. That's what a test drive IS for - so one can literally drive the vehicle, play with it, ask questions and determine if it's the right one for them. This thread reminds me of another recent one where a new-ish owner was bashing the CX-9 for NOT having a touch screen. Assuming he test drove it before buying, the screen is an arm's length away man. Come on.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by MrBillMazda
I really like the vehicle, but the seats are a big negative for me and my ailing back.
Seats are tough, and both fit and comfort are so subjective. Everyone's "butt meter" is different. It's hard to make a seat that's shaped well enough to match any group of ten different people, let alone a million.

Back in my 20s, any seat worked, all were reasonably comfortable, nothing felt uncomfortable. Fast-forward to today, after decades of injuries catching up with these old bones, alignment and positioning is critical, and the specific shape can matter a lot. The seats in my CX-5 are quite good, overall. Even though I prefer them to be much firmer, and shaped a bit more closely to my own leg/butt shape. (The Recaro Ergomed has that "perfect" shape and firmness, for me.)

Speaking of the Ergomed, once I find (or make) a proper bracket for the CX-5 I'll be installing one. Might be an option with your CX-9. (I haven't gotten confirmation from Recaro whether they've got a stock bracket or can make a custom one for the CX-5.)

Quick Reply: CX9 Uncomfortable Seats