Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX9 Uncomfortable Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrBillMazda
Does anyone have any information whether Mazda has,or will address the uncomfortable seat situation on the CX9? I sent an email to Mazda asking them to address the subject, but they did not respond. I find it strange that an automobile costing almost $50K cannot have a seat that is comfortable, particularly on long trips. I am anticipating purchasing a 2021 or 2022 Signature, but wish they would do something about the seat problem. I cannot believe that Mazda would lose any money by providing a better seat, unless they have a stockpile to last for a decade. I really like the vehicle, but the seats are a big negative for me and my ailing back.
Originally Posted by ViktorkGold
I have this car for 12.000 miles now and Yes I do find the seats uncomfortable. You see when you test drive the car that is just not it, you do not have that much time with the car to tell all pros and cons.
The back is narrow closer to the top and it really hurts the back while driving long time. It is probably good for smaller backs like girls... I like the car but when I can I avoid driving it because of it. Makes you wanna get to the destination faster and get the hell out. The back should be wider. My 30$ amazon seat fills better))) and NO I can not put it in my car )))
seats are horribly trips over 4 to 5 hours

Old 02-04-2023, 02:08 PM

Have the same issue with my 2020 CX9 Signature with 30,000 Kms. Two long trips and hardly bearable after 3 to 4 hours behind the wheel. Upper thigh and lower butt ache and throb and you have to stop and walk it off or sit in a more comfortable booth in a restaurant for a bit. This pertains to both front seats as my wife experience the same. Both of us are average size and weight. I previously had a 2019 CX9 Signature with 24,000 Kms and didn't have this issue. Both purchased new. Enough to make you want to get rid of it. Still under warranty but haven't seen anything from Mazda. Any input to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:28 PM

I have to laugh on some threads at times Does anyone really think this is a warranty issue with MAZDA or any other auto manufacture about seat comfort? Its not. Unless there is a defect or workability issues. Fitment is all on you when you decided to buy any vehicle. But you can express your thoughts and feeling about it on a forum!

Old 02-04-2023, 02:31 PM

unfortunately you can't take the car for a 3 to 4 hour test drive before purchasing. Out of the gate very impressive vehicle

Old 02-04-2023, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dugbt
unfortunately you can't take the car for a 3 to 4 hour test drive before purchasing. Out of the gate very impressive vehicle
Thats not altogether true! Many rental agencies have the new model like MAZDA, and you can request them. One reason I purchased the Mazda is exactly that reason. I had rented for small 1000-1300 mile weekend getaways 3 different vehicles. That helped me choose. one time each trip a Ford, Honda and the Mazda The trip was an 8–9-hour drive one-way same day. Northern CA to the coast of Oregon all the scenic routes. That covered not only various climates but also road conditions.
Maybe next new vehicle purchase try that?

Old 02-04-2023, 02:41 PM

I worked in the Automotive business for over 40 years driving demos of all makes and models. Seats are not custom fit to individuals, but certainly manufactured and tested for comfort to suit the average consumer. Having worked with Mazda for 30 years, now retired, I have never experienced the discomfort on longer drives of over three hours than these front leather seats in my 2020 CX9, signature edition. My previous 2019 CX9 signature edition was definitely way better helping to influence the purchase of another. If I had only known. Very hard on upper thigh, lower butt making for multiple stops.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:44 PM

I worked in the Automotive business for over 40 years driving demos of all makes and models. Seats are not custom fit to individuals, but certainly manufactured and tested for comfort to suit the average consumer. Having worked with Mazda for 30 years, now retired, I have never experienced the discomfort on longer drives of over three hours than these front leather seats in my 2020 CX9, signature edition. My previous 2019 CX9 signature edition was definitely way better helping to influence the purchase of another. If I had only known. Very hard on upper thigh, lower butt making for multiple stops.
Ya well it sucks getting old!

Old 02-04-2023, 02:58 PM

If in Fact Mazda gets enough consumer complaints, which they monitor, they are very proactive in addressing ongoing concerns even if it is simply a technical Bulletin not necessarily considered warranty.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:59 PM
Wink

Brilliant response from a senior member. Retired 3 years ago at 60 and still enjoy driving, comfortably of course. Not in a care home yet.

Last edited by dugbt; 02-04-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:58 PM

I posted once before on this subject and have since made another annual 1200 mile drive to South Florida for the winter. Yep, old retired guy. I do this drive non-stop except for gas.....takes about 18 hours. One reason I can do it is the vehicle rides so comfortable, and that includes the seats. I'm 6-1 and 185 and have no issues with the seats. Just a matter of finding the right settings for the drive.. My only issue is the seat bottom could be a little longer or include a 1-2 inch pull out extension like my X3. Other than that, I'm going to guess I'm in the vast majority as far as the seats go and doubt Mazda is going to make any substantial changes because of a few complaints. I've owned many cars over the years and have never know a car seat to be comfortable for 100% of buyers.

Quick Reply: CX9 Uncomfortable Seats