Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Info before possible purchase - new to Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:06 AM
Question Info before possible purchase - new to Mazda

Hi Folks,

New to the Mazda world, have been a Subaru owner for the past 10-ish years and frequent those forums. I am hoping to get the same friendly and supportive advice here!

Looking at the Mazda CX-9 for a better price point and more space than my Forester XT. Seeing some 2011-2015 Grand Touring models with 60-75k miles on them that look impressive. What information can you provide me to consider when thinking about this purchase? i.e. suggested mileage maintenance not on the official book, reliability, comfort, etc.

I'll obviously test drive it to make sure its something I feel comfortable with, but I like to do my research first before driving to a dealer a bit away. I'll start browsing through the forum as well, so feel free to drop links and tell me to read through. The only other model I'm currently looking at is the Toyota Highlander, but those just hold their value a little too high for me at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:26 PM

Did a little bit of research and discovered the 2016+ models moved to the turbocharged 4 cylinder 2.5L engine from the V6 (which was also a Ford motor.. ew). So no longer will be looking at anything older than the 2016s. Good news is there are still some 2016 tourings for less than 20k with only 65-75k miles on them.

I don't mind the Sport trims, but would like some of the tech package items included so would really just come down to features at this point.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:00 PM

We've got a 2016 CX9. It has been very satisfactory. No car is perfect, but we really like ours. There have been almost no quality issues reported on the forums. We have not been back to the dealer except for the first oil change. A few vibrations were noted on some cars, and those got fixed, either a tire problem or a suspension problem. The seats and sitting position are kind'a unique. If you can, give them a long sit and as long a test drive as you feel able. Some love it, and some don't. The car came with either Falken or Bridgestone Ecopia tires. Nobody...at all...likes the Ecopias. Bridgestone makes many fine tires, but this car didn't get them. We're getting about 26 mpg on the highway, and ample performance. I'd buy another.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM

I have not owned a CX-9 but I have owned 6 Mazdas and 5 Subarus over the past 20 years or so. Maintenance on the Mazdas, especially those in the past 6 years has been limited to routine maintenance. Maintenance on the Subarus has included all the standard Subaru troubles: Head gaskets, wheel bearings, wheel hub, PTC module.

Last year, we replaced a Forester at 85,000 miles and a Mazda at 100,000 miles for a new Forester and Mazda. The Forester needed $2,000 in repairs in its last year and we suspected more was around the corner - we traded it in. The Mazda needed nothing and had only oil changes in the prior year. We put new tires on the Mazda and passed it on to a family member. I am confident that it will last another 50 to100,000 miles without issue.

Reliability is not the reason I drive a Mazda. I drive them for the driving dynamics that is different than any other brand except BMW or Porsche.

I suggest that you drive a Mazda before you spend too much more time analyzing the decision based on others opinions.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:29 PM

Thank you both for your input. Many of the points raised are the reasons I'm even looking at them. I've driven a few Mazda rental cars and enjoyed the interior and driving feel, although the throttle/pedal response was lacking. I definitely plan on test driving one to get the final answer, and even if I like it, the wife has to be on board as well

I think I'm at that point now in terms of information. Just need to wait until mid March until I can more seriously start looking for 'the one'.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 AM

I concur. I looked at the 2019 Mazda before buying a Camry XSE V6 loaded. I am now considering the 2021 CX9. The primary reasons are I am not satisfied with the trunk space ( I traded a 2010 Nissan Frontier 5 speed for the Camry). Also the Camry is too low and difficult to get into and out of,particularly for a 81 y.o. with hip problems. I have considered the Kia Telluride and Honda Ridgeline. While the Kia gets a very good rating by CR's, I have also read many complaints from owners about the 'nickle and dime' occurrences. I drove the 2018 CX5 Touring and like the way it drove. I talked my daughter into a 2019 Touring, which she loves. I also like it, but like the extra power with the turbo engine. He car appears more refined than my Camry, and when closing the doors, the Mazda feels and sounds like a 'tighter' fit. Cost is not a factor, but I want something that is comfortable and FUN to drive. I shall await the 2021 model year before test driving. Any positive or negative information appreciated.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MrBillMazda
I concur. I looked at the 2019 Mazda before buying a Camry XSE V6 loaded. I am now considering the 2021 CX9. The primary reasons are I am not satisfied with the trunk space ( I traded a 2010 Nissan Frontier 5 speed for the Camry). Also the Camry is too low and difficult to get into and out of,particularly for a 81 y.o. with hip problems. I have considered the Kia Telluride and Honda Ridgeline. While the Kia gets a very good rating by CR's, I have also read many complaints from owners about the 'nickle and dime' occurrences. I drove the 2018 CX5 Touring and like the way it drove. I talked my daughter into a 2019 Touring, which she loves. I also like it, but like the extra power with the turbo engine. He car appears more refined than my Camry, and when closing the doors, the Mazda feels and sounds like a 'tighter' fit. Cost is not a factor, but I want something that is comfortable and FUN to drive. I shall await the 2021 model year before test driving. Any positive or negative information appreciated.
The CX-5 in a higher trim level with the turbo might be a good option for you unless you need all the space from the CX-9. I would bet you would be able to feel the power from the turbo in the CX-5 much better than the CX-9.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Thank you. I will definitely drive both before I make my final decision. I would like to drive the Signature models.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:22 PM

Ended up going with a 2017 Highlander SE. I think both my wife and I enjoyed the CX-9 in terms of interior and styling, as well as the drive feel. Even for its size, it drove like a car. Unfortunately the one with the safety features we wanted was a little roughed up, and the dealer wasn't willing to source replacement trim pieces that were dented or come down in price. Also, the sales manager that night was a bit of a dope.. really turned us off from going with Mazda. I'm sure we could have found a better experience elsewhere, but I honestly wasn't even finding any online that matched the criteria we wanted. So right down the road we test drove a few highlanders and drove off the lot with one the next morning (it was late to do paperwork). The one we got has the sport trim, so it looks sharp. The interior is nothing special but has all the right features. More utilitarian for sure, but will be more reliable and hold its value for the longer term.

At the end of the day, we both really miss the Forester XT. Just wasn't going to get any bigger And the Ascents are still too steep as newer models. I've also been getting annoyed with the numerous recalls and general QA issues I've been experiencing with Subaru.. it seems all those sales numbers are going to their head.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Loya1ty
Ended up going with a 2017 Highlander SE. I think both my wife and I enjoyed the CX-9 in terms of interior and styling, as well as the drive feel. Even for its size, it drove like a car. Unfortunately the one with the safety features we wanted was a little roughed up, and the dealer wasn't willing to source replacement trim pieces that were dented or come down in price. Also, the sales manager that night was a bit of a dope.. really turned us off from going with Mazda. I'm sure we could have found a better experience elsewhere, but I honestly wasn't even finding any online that matched the criteria we wanted. So right down the road we test drove a few highlanders and drove off the lot with one the next morning (it was late to do paperwork). The one we got has the sport trim, so it looks sharp. The interior is nothing special but has all the right features. More utilitarian for sure, but will be more reliable and hold its value for the longer term.

At the end of the day, we both really miss the Forester XT. Just wasn't going to get any bigger And the Ascents are still too steep as newer models. I've also been getting annoyed with the numerous recalls and general QA issues I've been experiencing with Subaru.. it seems all those sales numbers are going to their head.
I hope you are happy with the Toyota. It should be a good reliable vehicle for you. When the time comes, consider the Mazda again but don’t look back until then.