Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Low Fuel Warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Default Low Fuel Warning

Anyone know if there's a way to make the car beep/ding when the low fuel light comes on? My last vehicle did this after the car was turned on (or when you were driving when it hit the low fuel level). I have a fear that I may run out of gas because I'm not used to paying attention to when the light comes on as I'm used to hearing that ding...

Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Low Fuel Warning

ORIGINAL: cariengon

Anyone know if there's a way to make the car beep/ding when the low fuel light comes on? My last vehicle did this after the car was turned on (or when you were driving when it hit the low fuel level). I have a fear that I may run out of gas because I'm not used to paying attention to when the light comes on as I'm used to hearing that ding...
I would double check with the dealer (they arent all that knowledgeable, but its worth a try) but I dont think it does that. I have read my manual and it doesnt indicate that option. That bright orange light is pretty noticeable, though!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, it's not a good idea to run any modern car that low on fuel.
Second, please pay more attention to your instrument cluster. The rest of us on the road would appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Second, please pay more attention to your instrument cluster. The rest of us on the road would appreciate it.
+1. In most modern vehicles, the gas in your tank acts as a coolant for your fuel pump... when it runs too low on fuel for extended periods of time, that obviously doesn't do your pump any favors. Over time, the excess wear on the fuel pump will cause it to fail, and since most pumps are located within the gas tank, it will be a very expensive replacement.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 PM

ORIGINAL: virgin1

LOL!!!! I need not add to this. Well stated.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I was having a bad night, or something. IDR, but that was a pretty harsh postfor me, not to mention incomplete. However late this comes, I now apologize to the OP, cariengon.
pinski finished the thought I should have.
I was probably tired of repeating myself and always wish most drivers would realize that the gauges are there for a reason and should not be ignored. Sorry for being cranky.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
First of all I am sure that the persona asking this question has a legit reason for asking. I looked up the same question and nobody likes to be lectured. If you don’t have the response please don’t respond. Running your fuel low only messes your fuel pump if you do it all the time. As for your comment about the other drivers would appreciate it... unless you stop to render assistance not sure why it should matter.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 PM

"Running your fuel low only messes your fuel pump if you do it all the time."
Running out of gas just one time might be enough to damage the in-tank fuel pump.