Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

MAZDA CX9 2017 screen spider cracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 08:07 AM

I have a 2019 CX-9 and have the exact same problem. The cracks appeared this winter when temperatures were close to -30C.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:25 AM

I have a 2018, purchased Aug 2018, developed the sider cracks at about 44,000 miles. haven't gotten anything positive from my dealer, who claimed to contact regional for a "loyal customer". Yes, loyl customer, I had a 16 Mazda 6, then 18 cx5, the 18 cx9, and now q 21 cx5. My bro-in-law got a 16 CX5 on my rec, which is now in my driveway after he passed, along with th e18 cx9 and 21 cx5. And my first Mazda was a 90 MP. No help from dealer.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

At least in my market, Mazda has released a bulletin regarding these "spider cracks" also a extended warranty for all 2016 onward CX-9s.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-12-2023, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Quick google search

Attachment 8590

Attachment 8591
HI grim_reaper, i see you are in Australia. Thanks for the pdfs, I already have those on my computer. I could not find anything covering beyond 2017, even though the component and delamination problem is the same in 18 and 19 models. I am going to present these to regional/national office for their consideration. Wish me luck.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by idocwalt
HI grim_reaper, i see you are in Australia. Thanks for the pdfs, I already have those on my computer. I could not find anything covering beyond 2017, even though the component and delamination problem is the same in 18 and 19 models. I am going to present these to regional/national office for their consideration. Wish me luck.

I'm wondering if you have any updates on this? I'll be taking in my 2017 tomorrow to see what they say about this. So far they've been easy to work with. I'm hoping it turns out the same for this issue.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:22 PM
CMS

A long and concerning issue for Mazda and owners of CX models of all classes is the ongoing problem of the infotainment screens suffering spiderweb cracks internally due to hot/cold weather and temperature changes - obviously caused by Mazda continuing to use inferior quality materials. It is a serious issue that has been well documented for at least five or six years by Mazda buyers and was addressed to some extent, although obviously not satisfactorily by Mazda, with a recall of some pre 2018 models as it become more prevalent in models with 40,000km plus mileage.

The fault/cracking has now hit the 2019 Mazda models en masse as they enter this mileage zone and is becoming a serious issue for owners unsure if they are covered by warranty as some unscrupulous dealers/service agents will take advantage of what can be a costly repair.

The real onus is on Mazda to issue a recall and replace the screens (not the system itself) as it is something they have been aware of for years and continue to pretend it is not an issue for car owners - absolute BS!!!

There are moves to challenge Mazda with a class action - maybe they will come to their senses and realise the folly of their ways and do the right thing by their customers!

Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs will take a big interest in this if they don't!!!

Old 10-16-2023, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMS
A long and concerning issue for Mazda and owners of CX models of all classes is the ongoing problem of the infotainment screens suffering spiderweb cracks internally due to hot/cold weather and temperature changes - obviously caused by Mazda continuing to use inferior quality materials. It is a serious issue that has been well documented for at least five or six years by Mazda buyers and was addressed to some extent, although obviously not satisfactorily by Mazda, with a recall of some pre 2018 models as it become more prevalent in models with 40,000km plus mileage.

The fault/cracking has now hit the 2019 Mazda models en masse as they enter this mileage zone and is becoming a serious issue for owners unsure if they are covered by warranty as some unscrupulous dealers/service agents will take advantage of what can be a costly repair.

The real onus is on Mazda to issue a recall and replace the screens (not the system itself) as it is something they have been aware of for years and continue to pretend it is not an issue for car owners - absolute BS!!!

There are moves to challenge Mazda with a class action - maybe they will come to their senses and realise the folly of their ways and do the right thing by their customers!

Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs will take a big interest in this if they don't!!!
I thought the ACCC already sued Mazda over the way they treated people with diesel issues, i.e. basically telling them tough luck, sod off. Hopefully that re-focusses their attention to customer service but I'm not hopeful.

My selling dealer has been very difficult in the past regarding warranty items, every instance I have had to produce TSBs from overseas to demonstrate its a known issue. We tend to get bent over here when it comes to automotive consumer laws.

Mazda should focus on improving reliability, instead of interiors and their push upmarket. We briefly looked at the phev CX-60, but at approx AU$100k that's not happening.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:57 AM

For anyone outside of warranty or recall with the spider cracking on their CX-9- it is incredibly easy to fix. Take 15 mins and only need a screwdriver and a T8 bit driver. I did this to my mazda and it looks 100% perfect factory original, I cant tell a difference between when I bought the car new and this replacement part.

Link to the screen i used

Link to DIY video

Old 11-25-2023, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by big_c
For anyone outside
I am not outside its too cold @29F I just wanted to WELCOME you to the forum

Quick Reply: MAZDA CX9 2017 screen spider cracks