Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Mazda CX9 Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 05:45 PM
Default Mazda CX9 Tire wear

Hello Everyone
I own a 2023 Mazda CX9 and up to now, it has been a great car to own and drive. Going from owning several V6 Mazda CX 9s to a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder turbo engine was questionable to my wife and I, however it is a pleasure to drive and performed well. My only question is about tire wear. When I bought the car I noted that it had Bridgestone tires on it and thought that from past experience this brand of tire was very good and would wear well.
The car has just past the 36,000 mile mark, (we travel alot around the country and mostly using the Interstates). The tires are now coming close to having the "wear bars" coming into contact with the road and there has been a noticible increase in road noise, which in my opinion is that the nylon content of the tire is now in contact with the road surface, where as for the first 30,000 miles, the tires were much quieter because of the rubber content of these tires.
My main concern is how quickly these tires have worn, as I would have expected to get closer to 50,000 miles, as I have done so in the past on other Bridgestone tires. I have rotated these tires every 6000 miles and the tires have worn evenly.
I have a friend who has a 2023 Toyota Rav4 and he has Dunlop Grandtrek tires on his vehicle and is approaching 30,000 miles and they look like they are new, with no tread wear. Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
Regards
John

Old 09-15-2024, 07:55 PM

First, what is the curb weight of the CX-9, compared to your previous vehicles that used Bridgestone tires? You also didn't state what model of Bridgestone tire is on your CX-9. Just because the tires are all bridgestone tires, doesn't mean that they had the same rubber compounds and structure within them. Look up the model tire that you have and see what the mileage warranty is/was.
Lastly, it would be kinda tough to have two different driver's on two different vehicles compare with each other as far as treadwear life. Are the two different vehicles running the same size (wheel size & tread width) tires? Same model tires? Driving styles, etc.
I do agree with you about Bridgestone tires as a whole, do seem to wear well over time......but most of my experience with them have been on fairly light weight/smaller vehicles also......which will make a good sized difference in the wear life, compared to heavier vehicles.

Last edited by MeB2000; 09-15-2024 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:48 PM

You can't compare other platforms reliably regarding many aspects like tire wear? There so many variables we could spend all day coming up with them. Nor can you compare what a friend family member co-worker or on FORUMS what other get for their tire life. . You can ask and people can give their answers but that's about it. NO real evidence and controlled testing for any good conclusions.
If you read your warranty package you may see what the tires separate warranty converge is. You may be surprised?

Everyone drives differently so while you r seem doing all the correct rotation who knows about everything else that can affect how the tires wear?

I would say start shoping for a replacement tire now that will be better suited for your driving style and where you drive your Mazda?.

Old 09-18-2024, 09:57 AM

Hello
The tires which came with the car are Ecopia H/L422.
Thank you for your comments

Old 09-18-2024, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by johnnymac
Hello
The tires which came with the car are Ecopia H/L422.
Thank you for your comments
Ok well that tire is a medium level choice. It also explains IMHO why you got such low miles for the tread wear.

The one thing that 99% of people when they are purchasing a new vehcle is accepting the Tire that are on the vehicle. You all know you can negotiate another tire choice right? lol
However it usefully only goes with what the dealership stocks and not necessarily what they can get through the vendors. Doing this negotiations does require a little work in advance to know how to get the tires you would rather have and at a good deal.

Old Today, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

36,000 miles is 60,000 km's, I would be very happy to get 60,000kms out of a set of tyres.