Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

No name brand oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Default No name brand oil

What do you think of 'no name brand' oil as long as it is API certified as SN/SM and meets ILSAC 5 standards? In other words, do additive packages really matter? My mechanic is using either syn blend CAM2 or Coastal oil in my 2012 CX9 for the last 3 years. thanks

Old 04-26-2021, 03:27 PM

More of my responses deleted because some member got butt hurt from the way I respond?

It gets old when my responses get deleted....you all dont want facts or information based on many years experience , its better to read a quickly found supportive response that lacks real information and the root information serves another purpose.

Its worse then the US censorship of our government!

Last edited by Callisto; 04-27-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:01 PM

The current standards are API Service Category SP and ILSAC GF-6A..."Introduced in May 2020, designed to provide protection against low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI), timing chain wear protection, improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons and turbochargers, more stringent sludge and varnish control, improved fuel economy, enhanced emission control system protection and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85."
https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...oil-categories

There are some very bad no-name oils being sold. Beware! https://pqia.org/advisoriesconsumer-...and-dont-buys/

It's OK to use low cost name brands, even Walmart & Costco's store brands.

Last edited by PTguy; 04-26-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
More of my responses deleted because some member got butt hurt from the way I respond?

It gets old when my responses get deleted....you all dont want facts or information based on many years experience , its better to read a quickly found supportive response that lacks real information and the root information serves another purpose.

Its worse then the US censorship of our government!
That's probably gonna start happening to me. I'm no sage, but I also don't suffer fools gladly (although my wife says she does).
Guess I better keep a civil keyboard....

On point tho, the only oils I've ever seen that I wouldn't have used came from Dollar General and were branded as such. I had good instincts as, -well, read on:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ttlement.shtml

Kirkland and SuperTech are top-notch store brands (no-names?), and are bargains.

Old 12-20-2021, 01:48 PM

About the original posting oil brands...there are some good small blenders who buy base oil from one of the large oil refiners, buy the additive package from the few chemical companies that make them (ChevronOronite, Lubrizon, Acton, Infineum, others), and produce finished product lube oils. The products can range from OK to excellent. Coastal is a label of the Warren Oil Company. (Not to be confused with Warren Packaging which blends the Walmart oils). CAM2 is a blender of that name. I imagine that your mechanic has a history of good results from these oils.