Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Oil Capacity on 2023 CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hud1964
adverb: maybe
perhaps; possibly

As I said: Stop misquoting me...

PS - I have an idea why there are only 2 Mazda technicians on the forum.
Really I doubt you understand why on automotive forum in general there are very few vendors, manufactures and people that are educated, trained and experienced helping more members on a forum. All my friends and colleagues think I am wasting my time even my marketer. They all say that the mentality on forums is that of crowd phycology not unlike the real world. They will argue and debate and tell you that you only have an opinion and that there opinion is just as valid even if you post information that is factual, verifiable and empirical in nature.
I really enjoy helping some members and do so daily but I also totally enjoy reading DIY and debating with them are there illogical view of how thing really work in the automotive world. If you don't like a forum there are plenty around to suit your exact personality but just be informed I belong and participate on dozens. This found is the one I call my MAZDA home forum and will remain here and continue to respond keeping withing the guidelines and posting on any darn thread I wish to that interests me.

And no I did not say or imply there were only 2 Mazda Technicians. I said one Mazda Trained and certified Mazda Technician.
Just to be clear I am current to date ASE Master Technician L1 & L2 certified (for 30years) Maybe you and a couple other newer member should go look at the thread What do or did you do for a living

Old 01-28-2023, 01:42 PM

Just an FYI this thread and its global interest with MAZDA owners both members and visitors has had very little viewing.

In other words all we posted is ..... pretty much (see emo picture below) to the Mazda community

Old 03-13-2023, 03:51 PM

Yesterday I had the first oil change in my new CX-9 at 1300 miles. I purchased an OEM filter and Mobile-1 and took it in to my local independent shop. I brought 5 quarts of oil and the shop service guy said his book says it takes 4.7 with a filter. I told him to add all 5 as the owners manual says it takes 5.1. When I got home I checked the oil level and it was about 1/2 quart low. I called the shop and asked them to check with the tech, they did and said the tech added all 5 quarts and checked it before he closed it up, he found it was about 1/2 way between add and full marks. I then added 14 oz and that brought it to the full mark on the dipstick.
This first oil change took 5.5 quarts of oil, not the 5.1 called for in the manual. (Note: when the car was brand new it was filled to the full mark on the dipstick.)
I would suggest that owners check the oil level after having their car serviced, this discrepancy may explain why some owners complain that after an oil change the low oil light comes on after a couple thousand miles but seems OK after that.
Make sure that your vehicle isn't in the list of needing new piston rings there a lawsuit against mazda, i purchased a 21 cx-9 no miles. milesat 10k i had to have new piston rings replaced because it was consuming oil. At the time mazda had no solution outside of keep checking oil and add it well because the lawsuit finally finished up and they are required to replace the piston rings. Mine was going through 2 qrts at 2k miles

Old 03-13-2023, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluescorpion
Make sure that your vehicle isn't in the list of needing new piston rings there a lawsuit against mazda, i purchased a 21 cx-9 no miles. milesat 10k i had to have new piston rings replaced because it was consuming oil. At the time mazda had no solution outside of keep checking oil and add it well because the lawsuit finally finished up and they are required to replace the piston rings. Mine was going through 2 qrts at 2k miles
so you must have been changing spark plugs as well at that rate of oil consumption. I imagine you kept getting cylinder miss fire codes as well. PO301-PO304, not to mention what all that unburned oil did to the CAT ...P0421 lets not forget wiping out one or both HO2s and I am not sure how much carbon it created that will change the CR and likely going out of range for the ECU to correct And Mazda is only replacing the rings and not the engine?

Last edited by Callisto; 03-13-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
so you must have been changing spark plugs as well at that rate of oil consumption. I imagine you kept getting cylinder miss fire codes as well. PO301-PO304, not to mention what all that unburned oil did to the CAT ...P0421 lets not forget wiping out one or both HO2s and I am not sure how much carbon it created that will change the CR and likely going out of range for the ECU to correct And Mazda is only replacing the rings and not the engine?
Actually no misfire was happening. It wasn't burning oil. It was just consuming oil. Weird right. My cx-9 never smoked, never smelled oil burning, never had smoke coming from exhaust ever. No leaks no nothing. However the oil kept disappearing.. well there is a tsb about this and a recall but under select modules if yours is consuming oil then you need to get ahold of the dealership or call mazda corporations and they will get ahold of the dealership. Thats what i did they sent the parts in once the dealership received the package they called to set the appointment and its only certain techs that is doing it, not every tech can do it, that's what the dealership told me that i purchased mine from which was classic mazda of Orlando.. i told the same thing to corporate what damage it must be doing to the spark plugs and cat of course they was silent so i checked the plugs once the work was complete and of course they looked dusty black not wet just soot so i replaced them myself.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 PM

Are you not sure you are talking about the exhaust valve stem seals?
I have not seen any information regarding the replacement of rings only on a MAZDA engine in the last couple decades or more. If it has to do with ring the engine is replaced.
Also the operative word you used is "consume". You either leak it out of the engine or into the cooling system or it gets burn or at least passes through the into the exhaust and out the tail pipe. It does not disappear unaccounted for.

Anyway, I really don't want to go back and forth I think we know what you meant to say.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:00 PM
Default So far, so good.

Originally Posted by Bluescorpion
I hope the ring job fixed your oil consumption, some (Toyota,+) have argued a quart/1000 mi is acceptable but I would agree with you that it's excessive. I have not owned a car that used oil at that rate since the '70's. My CX-9 now has 5200 miles, I changed oil at 1200 but in the 4000 miles since then it is still at the full mark. 3500 if those miles were highway at speeds, 70-80 mph, while vacationing in TX for a month. I think mine is going to be OK, but I do check my oil level 2-3 times per month, just an old habit.
I had read about oil consumption in some 2020 Mazda engines but it seemed the internet wanted to blame valve stem seals, this is the first time I have heard piston rings may be the problem. If not fixed keep after Mazda, so far I do believe they want to do the right thing.
Thank you for your reply.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:45 PM

I hope the ring job fixed your oil consumption, some (Toyota,+) have argued a quart/1000 mi is acceptable but I would agree with you that it's excessive. I have not owned a car that used oil at that rate since the '70's. My CX-9 now has 5200 miles, I changed oil at 1200 but in the 4000 miles since then it is still at the full mark. 3500 if those miles were highway at speeds, 70-80 mph, while vacationing in TX for a month. I think mine is going to be OK, but I do check my oil level 2-3 times per month, just an old habit.
I had read about oil consumption in some 2020 Mazda engines but it seemed the internet wanted to blame valve stem seals, this is the first time I have heard piston rings may be the problem. If not fixed keep after Mazda, so far I do believe they want to do the right thing.
Thank you for your reply.
Yea mine is fixed they took care of me. I was just saying to the persons post that if its consuming oil that engine maybe apart of the issue alot of use had with the oil consumption issue. All is well since they did the job. I use royal purple oil in mine a huge difference from the other oil. I also run sea foam from time to time in the crank case to make sure nothing sticks, even putting that in the crank case under the normal synthetic oil it made a difference somethin was sticking so i switched to royal purple and it definitely makes a huge difference. Honda has that whole rattle upon start up well who wants to keep taking it in for the same failed problem switched to royal purple and now no longer rattles upon the initial start up.

Old 03-14-2023, 09:49 AM

I hope the ring job fixed your oil consumption,
Information that is so incorrect is how bad information starts on the internet and forums!
I think he is mistaken. If you replace the rings you "must" run a hone into the cylinders. I would really like to see the service order that only the rings were replaced in a warranty ?
The labor dollars and parts replacing only rings is likely more than replacing the engine. Labor hours is shorter as well. makes no sense Mazda would have authorized that! Nuff said ! LOL

Old 03-14-2023, 05:37 PM
Default There you go again.

Calisto - I know English can be tough, but if you read my reply you will see that I never said Mazda replaced the piston rings, the owner of the car says Mazda replaced the rings. I have no reason to tell him he is wrong and you have no knowledge to tell him he is wrong.
Your reply contains an obvious error; a manufacturer would not simply install rings under warranty because it makes no sense.
Well sir, I have knowledge of this and you are wrong.
Suggest you read: Toyota TSB: T-SB-0094-11 revised 06/24/2016. This TSB covers thousands of oil burning Toyota engines and calls for new pistons and rings to be installed as the primary repair (a new short block if the existing block is unserviceable) in thousands of Toyotas. It was a really big deal.
If you need more examples do a simple Google search.
Nuff said! LOL

Quick Reply: Oil Capacity on 2023 CX-9