Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Pulled the Trigger on a CX-9...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Default Pulled the Trigger on a CX-9...

I pickup up my 2007 Mazda CX-9 on Meomorial Day. I got a Copper Red AWD GT with the MoonRoof/Bose, GT Assist with NAV/Backup Camera, and Towing packages. The Interior is Sand Leather. The MSRP was $39,595. The dealer was is a sellign mood and gave me a little over 4k off MSPR and kicked in an extra 1K over KBB ( retail ) for my trade ( 2005 merc Mariner). Drive out price with tax tag and title was about $35K.

I love the way the car rides, handles, and brakes. I would not have believed that a 4500lb vehicle could handle this well without a bone jarring suspension. The interior looks great and there is plenty of room. The Bose stereo system is excellent. This is my company car and I carry a lot of demo equipment and also take clients out to lunch and dinner. It is the perfect design for what I do.After my first fill up I was getting about 18-19mpg with a 50/50 split city/hwy. It sould improve to 19-20mph average ( Little Mariner was 22mpg average ) after the engine/trans is broken in well. I tow a small fishing boat ( about 2500lb ) so the towing package was manditory for me.

I do have a few complaints after driving it for about 500miles:

1) The first is simply buyers remorse. I wasvery dissapointed to find out today that the 2008 CX-9 ( due in the late summer) will get the new 3.7L (275hp+) direct injection V6. That will kill the resale value of the 2007 models. I highly suggest that any of youlooking ata CX-9 wait for the new engine. It will have a lot more pep off the line. Itwill probablty get better gas milage due to the direct injection. If I had know this I would have ordered a 2008.

2) The Nav system is not quite as good as the little garmin Nuvii 350 that I used in my old vehicle. The thing is unncessarly complicated to operate.

3) The seam of the side bolsters on the bottom of the seat are too hard. That piping looks good, but on a long trip the ridge on this seam pokesme in the bottom of my thighs ( and rearend ) and gets a little uncomfortable. I am failry big at 6'-4" 230lb, buta simple blind seam or french seam would easly avoid this issue and look just as good. I am conisdering having my local upolstry shop make me some new bottom seat covers. ( This guy has done some custom work for me in the past.. )

4) There is a little more wind noise from the side mirrors then there should be.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Default RE: Pulled the Trigger on a CX-9...

You seem to be a very well informed buyer, I am also looking to get a CX-9 and I am having a dilema..should I end the 2005 Expi lease early? (due back in April 08), but sice you mentioned this new engine I could order..are they taking orders?...any other changes that may know about?...thanks and enjoy the CX-9

Old 06-03-2007, 03:27 PM

The new motor is the big news, though it's not clear how significant a difference it will make in the real world. Apparently, there are no more 2007 models being built, so all orders are for 2008 models which are supposed to begin production in June/July with arrival in early fall.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM

Thank you very much for the info, I will be contacting the Mazda dealer that i will be doing business with and ask him to place an order for the 2008..if they are due for arrival in early fall I will be willing to take a hit on my current 2005 Expi lease and get the CX-9 as soon as they arrive...one thing I am afraid of is a possible change in colors....I like the Mica Grey and God knows how creative Mazda can get and eliminate colors.....
Anyone has any ideas about the possible changes on the 2008?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM

First thing to note is... Congrats on pulling the trigger...and hitting a great target. I too just got one and am totaly excited about it... I can't wait to get out of the "break in" period so I can feel more comfortable driving it like I want to. For now though... it handles increadibly for it's size and footing with the AWD is very very good. It has by far the most increadible sound system I've ever heard in a car... ( and I've been in the business for 25 years ).
Re complaints... :

1) There is and will always be a reason for "buyers" remorse on anything technological (i.m.o.). I'd hope anyone investing this sort of money should never be unhappy about doing so. There will always be improvements or changes on the "next" model... Enjoy what you've done...

2) I've really intrigued by the Nav system. and the complaints people have about it in comparison to other models... I've not had to "have" one so ... it's new(er) to me... So far it's a nice extra.. but I'll reserver total judgement until I actualy "need" it...

3) @ 6'2... the seating is one of the highlights for me... Only been on a few sorta "long" drives... all of which have been very comfy so far. The key is I guess... you've been through this before with other vehiclces... so you "know" how to address it... Experience is a great teacher.

4) There is a lil more wind noise than I'd expect too... but not enough ( for me ) to ever worry about...with the wicked sound system...

Finaly ... My only complaint so far... is the fact that I dont get to drive it as much as I wanna ( Wife's car)... We've gone from the first year model 1996 MPV Allsport... 8 passenger seating ... leather interior...Cd etc... It treated us increadibly well... Of course... in 97 (less than a calender year from when we got it) the next stage of this car came out... with a few changes that had me (for a very brief moment) thinking... dang... if I'd only waited... nearly 12 years later... after all the wonder about what the SUV/Van? trully was... we're thrilled to have the next ( "what is that... a Mazda?" ) in our family.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM

The new 3.7L engine will be a very significant upgrade to the CX-9. It will be between 275-320hp. However, more significant is that it will have about 25-50 more ft-lb of torque. The current 3.5L is a little weak onlow end torque. This new engine will make it accelerate alot more enthustiacly. Since the vehicle is performance orented, it will make the car a lot more fun to drive. The direct injection will most likely make it more fuel efficient as well.

Unfortunately, the fact that the engine gets a significant upgrade less than an year into production will significantly lower the re-sale value of the 2007 models. It will probably drop the 4 year resale by a few thousand as the 2007 will always be a less desirable year model.

I just wish I got to enjoy it more more thanone day before I found out it was already the "weak engine model"...

It is not a horrable thing, but just kind of killed the new car fun after only one day for me....

Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Your info is valuable ( at least for me ) since I am planning to get a CX9 but I am waitinga bit because my current 05EXPI lease has a bit to go yet. But I was considering loosing some money in that lease since I love the CX9. Your info changes evruthing for me,it may be worthwhile to wait....
I am almost afraid to ask, but I will..how do you got this engine info?....320 hp seems to me a little farfetch for this type of vehicle,,,,275 ok but not 320...this is no Mustang

Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM

I got my info fromanother web site. I later comfirmed it with my dealer. ( Most dealers should have the 2008 ordering infor by now ) It seems that Mazda has been testing the new 3.7L engine for Ford for some time now. It can be tuned to make between 275hp - 320hp without forced induction. However, the 300+ versions require a high compression ratio and premium gas.

For now Mazda has comfirmed that the 3.7 will be in the 2008 but has not said what hp level it will be at. On regular gas I suspect that it will be in the280-290hp range. However, it is the extra torque that will make the car feel more lively. It will accelerate from a stop much better ( also helps with towing ). Even if it is only a 10 more hp, the extra torque will be worth the wait...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the info I will contact the dealer again since on my first call they said that they had nothing for 2008...well what do you expect?..they still have to sell the 2007 right?..

Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM

They(were)'re deffinately gonna try to move the '07's before spilling the beans on the`08's ... Makes all the sense in the world... You're in a unique possition as you'restill in the market and have time/patience to wait... eye's open and ears to the floor... will always give you more... (time waited for...and information to digest)! Either way... when ever you get it... I think we all agree... (so far) you're gonna love it! Have you driven any yet?

Quick Reply: Pulled the Trigger on a CX-9...