Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Roof rack wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 06:19 AM
Default Roof rack wind noise

I recently got a 2020 CX-9. In general it's fantastic.

I got the factory roof racks a couple of weeks ago and installed. They're really nice - sturdy and look good, however the wind noise is *horrendous*! It sounds practically like a hurricane when going at highway speeds. My guess is that it's due to the rough finish (?). Might anyone have similar experience, and have any tips for how to reduce the wind noise? Perhaps might there be some kind of smooth shield or cover that might work to reduce the noise?

(previous vehicle had very similar roof rack that did not have the noise)

I take occasional road trips, and would actually consider removing the racks for road trips (when I'm not carrying something), but my other complaint is - these things are very difficult to install, due to the angle of the bolts. E.g. it requires a shield of some kind to avoid scratching the paint, and you can't use a standard ratchet to do it - it requires the very thin manual tool; so it took about an hour to install them. (If the bolts were at a better angle it would have take about 10 minutes)

Thanks for any tips.

(Edit: see below - I had installed them backwards! After flipping - is good now.)

Last edited by WolfStock; 06-24-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:34 AM

Thanks for mentioning this WolfStock. I've been thinking about getting a roof rack for my CX-9 for some time now - this will be my first, if ever. I don't have a constant need for a roof box but when family visits once every thousand years , it may come in handy when going out of town.

Maybe a moon roof deflector might do the trick? It may push the air high enough above the roof rails to prevent (or reduce) wind noise.

I hope others will chime in and share their experience.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure they are fitted the right way round. Fat edge facing forward & narrow/blade edge facing backwards.

Old 06-22-2021, 01:22 PM

I think grim nailed it. The cross bar ends are marked...RF, LR, etc....on the underside of the feet. You can check this with a small mirror. My OE cross bars, with the rough finish, is nearly silent. I put the cross bars on in the winter for ski gear and take them off in the spring. I use a T30 torx ball-end screwdriver, the Wiha 36236, then the final tightening with the factory tool. A sheet of light cardboard protects the paint, something like the front panel from a cereal box.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 AM

Thanks much!

I did notice the markings, and I *thought* I had installed it right - but checking now - I may not have. I didn't notice one edge being fatter during installation - it just felt symmetric, but looking at it just now I see what you mean, and indeed the back edge is fatter. I'll take them off tonight and report - guess I did have them installed backwards.

I tried to find the markings just now, but don't see them. IIRC they're on the part that actually attaches to the runners (perhaps that's a recent change), so will need to take them off to see the markings.

Thanks again.

Update: Yep - sure enough I had installed them backwards. Doh. Flipped them around, and test drive was golden - much quieter. What a bonehead!

Last edited by WolfStock; 06-24-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:47 PM
Default Roof rack wind noise

Originally Posted by WolfStock
Thanks much!

I did notice the markings, and I *thought* I had installed it right - but checking now - I may not have. I didn't notice one edge being fatter during installation - it just felt symmetric, but looking at it just now I see what you mean, and indeed the back edge is fatter. I'll take them off tonight and report - guess I did have them installed backwards.

I tried to find the markings just now, but don't see them. IIRC they're on the part that actually attaches to the runners (perhaps that's a recent change), so will need to take them off to see the markings.

Thanks again.

Update: Yep - sure enough I had installed them backwards. Doh. Flipped them around, and test drive was golden - much quieter. What a bonehead!
Thanks for this post! I recently bought a 2020 CX-9 and sure enough, wind noise at just over 40 mph. There is a factory installed rack and the front rail has the skinny side facing forward and the back rail has the skinny side facing aft. So, I'll turn the front rack around around and see if the noise disappears. If not, I will remove them until needed.
Update: Wind noise all but gone. Grim nailed it. Prior to this, I envisioned taking it to Mazda and have them search for a evasive wind noise. I actually got the front rail loose with an ordinary long shank common screwdriver as the T30 screws were not on very tight, so pretty easy job. So glad for you guys' help. Thanks again! rawagz

Last edited by rawagz; 09-10-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-24-2021, 12:11 PM

"There is a factory installed rack...."
Actually the rack was installed by the dealership, probably by someone while the boss was telling him to work faster.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rawagz
Thanks for this post! I recently bought a 2020 CX-9 and sure enough, wind noise at just over 40 mph. There is a factory installed rack and the front rail has the skinny side facing forward and the back rail has the skinny side facing aft. So, I'll turn the front rack around around and see if the noise disappears. If not, I will remove them until needed.
Good luck.

I've taken a couple of road trips now, and the noise is pretty much gone, so definitely did the trick.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:25 AM

I cannot find the cross bars for my 21 Grand Touring. The one Mazda dealer told me it was backordered until November. Has anyone had success with the EBAY Chinese knockoffs? I am only going to be carrying at most 2 pairs of skis this winter.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:49 PM

I just looked at one on ebay. They have a 60 day return; you're just out return shipping cost. They might be OK. Or, get an order in now for the OE cross bars in November. That will be in time for skiing--if they're on time.