Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Second Row Seats (Split Bench) Won't Fold Completely Flat, 2021 Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 05:10 PM
Default Second Row Seats (Split Bench) Won't Fold Completely Flat, 2021 Grand Touring

I'm trying to figure out why the driver and passenger sides of the second row split bench seat don't seem to fold down completely flat or the same on both sides.

On the passenger side, if I press the button on the side of the seat bottom, the front of the seat bottom dips slightly (and the seat slides forward for access to third row) so that when I fold the backrest down, the rear surface of the backrest is virtually horizontal. On the driver side, in contrast, the front of the seat bottom does not dip when I press the button on the seat bottom. As a result, when I fold the backrest down on that side, the rear surface of the backrest is at a slight angle, and it sits higher than the rear surface of the backrest on the passenger side. As a result, I don't have a nice flat cargo area all the way across the width of the car (e.g., when I fold the third-row seats down). Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2021, 07:59 PM
Default Your second row seat problem

Hi.

I saw your question about the second row seat lying flat in the CX-9. I have a 2019 touring with the split 60/40 second seat and I have exactly the same issue (if it's an issue). The manual seems to suggest that they should both pop to a completely flat position. The passenger side one does. I just lift the tilt forward lever and it folds over. Then, when I pull the square lever on the top, it pops to a nearly flat position. When I try to do the second step on the driver's side, the lever does nothing. A dealer says it is supposed to be that way but seems to have no idea what he is talking about.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:38 AM

As it turns out, I believe this is the way things are designed. Per the manual, in the section on accessing the third row, the passenger side seat bottom will drop slightly when the seat is released/moved forward so that people can access the third row on that side even when a child seat is installed on the passenger side of the second row.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:10 PM

In our 2019 sig the 2nd row center console prevents the driver side (the 60 portion) from laying flat. It is pretty close, at the top edge it is up by about 1/2" but it is not perfectly flush with the passenger side. If you just lower the driver side, you can reach in with your hand and feel that is the problem. Not sure if the 2nd row center console is an option, but it definitely seems to be the cause.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 AM

when i bought the cx9 (2019)... the rear seats were folded completely flat... since then i have never gotten them to fold all the way down.. w / covid etc i never had a chance to ask dealer... then my brother in law came over for a stay -- and i dropped him at airport -- just discovered after he left he managed to get the pass side 2nd row flat.. for the 1st time in 3 years. i spent 20 min fiddling w/ the drivers side one.. and i cannot get it to lay flat. manual says i should be able to.. i can FEEL the seat bar is tucked up in the pass side... but not in the drivers side.
ideas?
also there's a huge gap btwn the 2nd and 3rd row... which wasn't there when we saw it on display (poor dog drops into that )
we have the sport edition. last pic is from the actual 2019 only manual - no gap bwtn rows (in fact it implies a cover there??) and flat..luggage space. when i test it more -- the top handle on the pass side actually DROPS the seat ... you can see in 1st pic.. the same handle on the left drivers side.. just tilts and slides.... ??

TIA

Last edited by ciarabelle; 08-01-2022 at 08:36 AM.