Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Squeaking noise from dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 02:43 AM
Default Squeaking noise from dash

Can anyone tell me what is causing an annoying squeak in my 2008 Mazda CX-9? The squeak seems to come from within the right front dashboard area. It is speed sensitive in that and seems to get faster with increased speed. Road surface makes no difference. Turning off the fan makes no difference. The sound is similar to what poorly lubricated speedometer cables used to make when cars had speedometer cables. The sound is similar to what a small fan would make when its bearings were going out. The sound is similar to the sound wheel bearings make when poorly lubricated. High pitched rattle/squeak. I’ve looked for loose anythings at the glovebox, dash, vents, door hinges, seat and seat operating mechanisms. No luck.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tones76
Can anyone tell me what is causing an annoying squeak in my 2008 Mazda CX-9? The squeak seems to come from within the right front dashboard area. It is speed sensitive in that and seems to get faster with increased speed. Road surface makes no difference. Turning off the fan makes no difference. The sound is similar to what poorly lubricated speedometer cables used to make when cars had speedometer cables. The sound is similar to what a small fan would make when its bearings were going out. The sound is similar to the sound wheel bearings make when poorly lubricated. High pitched rattle/squeak. I’ve looked for loose anythings at the glovebox, dash, vents, door hinges, seat and seat operating mechanisms. No luck.
Welcome to the forum

Your Mazda is to old for basic and normal noises and sounds associated with a NEW vehicle with anomalous sounds to track. You are going to need to do the work first by having another help you. While driving your assistant will be better able to hear where the exact sod location may be. By then pushing or pressing on interior parts you may find the location of the sound. Don't rule out the exterior wiper and vent area as well something from under the hood in the engine compartment. Sounds and noise can travel and not always where you think they originate from.