Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Is there a cap on car door usage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 12:15 AM
Default Is there a cap on car door usage?

I have a Mazda CX 9 Grand Touring purchased new June 2020 that I barley drive.

Several months ago I started having an issue that’s left me with twin babies locked in the car, left me stranded with babies & 2 dogs, caused me to miss important appointments etc.

The issue is, I’ll go to start my car & get a “key fob malfunction,” “system malfunction,” error. My dash lights start flashing, including park break, air bags etc.

The lift gate won’t open, the doors are unable to be unlocked/locked from the drivers side, key, or manually from inside the car. Twice my lift gate alarm started sounding, on one occasion it was on & off for a solid 45 min before I finally left it & had it towed to the dealership. The next time it started going off but stopped shortly after (when the battery died).

If the battery doesn’t drain immediately the car is sometimes fine if I leave it for a few hrs, close all of the doors, lock & unlock all doors multiple times etc.

The latest occasion all I had done was drive to my parents 2hrs away, arrived at 6pm, not touched the car until I was loading up the next day. This occasion there was also a loud ticking coming from the right side under the hood (presumably battery area) that they said was to be expected with it draining.

On one occasion I was at home & the tow truck driver tested the battery & showed me it was good.

Mazda has offered me these explanations:

- I was driving the car too little

- I was opening the car doors too frequently, causing all of the computers to activate & drain the battery.

- Next time they went through a backpack in my trunk to find that my spare fob was in it, which they then pointed to as the cause (the owners manual clearly states that in this scenario the key fob is totally deactivated until used again from outside the car to lock & unlock it).

- They replaced the battery because it wasn’t meeting standards & the positive connection was loose. Except this latest time they told me they actually had somehow not replaced the battery after all.

- They’ve now had it since the 13th & are saying I opened the lift gate 200 times between the 1st & 13th, which is actually possible after doing the math. I have twins that require a double stroller that has to go in the back. So,

1x on the way to daycare

1x when I get there

1x when I leave

2x's additional if I stop on the way

3x's taking my dogs to the park early afternoon

3x's picking up from daycare

2xs additional because we always stop at a park on the way home

3x's additional if I go to the store that evening because I take my dogs

But the thing is, that’s my lifestyle. The manual doesn’t state that I need to limit use of door functionality. Why would anyone buy a car that even suggested that.

They said they want to talk to me in person so are making me come to the dealership Monday so we can, “get on the same page about a few things,” which sounds like they have found squat & plan on feeding me another BS excuse.

I’ve googled like crazy but I have a feeling my limited car know-how is hindering my search results because I’m finding squat info wise.

Can anyone tell me what extent of these claims are credible? If not, any recommendations on how to handlenor what to say during this upcoming convo?

I know I can file for the lemon law (WA state) but also noticed they are using slightly different reasons when they write up the report each time, not sure to what extent that disqualifies me. I also don’t know if I have all of the original copies of paperwork, though I do have several emails where I’ve talked about the “same issue happening again,” & the number of times it’s taken place.