Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Thoughts on recent purchase of 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Default Thoughts on recent purchase of 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring

Hello all. I just purchased a new to me 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring with 77000 miles. I have some thoughts about the vehicle and would love some input.

The car is back to the dealer after one day with some issues so I'm feeling a little anxious.

First of all, I ejected the Nav DVD and now it will not go back in. The drive keeps ejecting it.

Second, the front driver's side speaker is dead. There are no high or mid tones. Only muffled bass.

Lastly, the door over the cupholder is stuck shut and since that is really the only storage space in the front of the cabin, that's a bummer.

I'm hoping these things get worked out but I also hope this doesn't foretell more quirks around the corner.

Here are some observations after driving the car for a day and a half.

PROS:

I love the luxury and comfort and the elegant. simple layout of the cockpit.
The V6 accelerates smoothly and feels powerful.
The ride and handling is nice.
All of the bells and whistles make driving it fun.

CONS:

The BOSE stereo is lousy. It clips high end and mid tones. Unless my whole system is messed up. This is crazy for the top end package of a car like this.

The car is noisy. Lots of squeaks and rattles. I have an incessant buzzing in the passenger door that I'll have to pinpoint. The wind noise is also frustrating at high speeds.

I am still baffled by the fact that when I pair my iPhone via Bluetooth, song names don't show up. I understand that there is a compatibility issue but that's really no excuse. Can Mazda not offer a software or firmware upgrade? It is really short sighted to think that we only keep a car for a year like we do our phones. The car should keep up with the technology.

I'd love some feedback or input. Right now, I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse about this. I know that to some degree, some of this is to be expected for a car of this age but I had 2004 Honda Accord with 170000 miles and didn't have any of these issues so it's not a foregone conclusion that cars this old have to have issues.

We have a 2016 CX-5 and love it so we thought we'd give Mazda another shot. So far, we're 1 for 2.