Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Trailer Hitch receiver on a 2022 CX-9 Signature

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:50 PM
Default Trailer Hitch receiver on a 2022 CX-9 Signature

I want to add a class III hitch receiver to my 2022 CX-9 Signature.
I am guessing it will block the sensor for the "hands free" liftgate option.
Are there any other issues related to that sensor?
Does it need to be removed, or anything like that in order to install the hitch that would complicate things?
Also, even though I have not taken the towing package option, is the OEM tow package harness connector available behind the right rear trim panel (behind 12V socket) that I can plug my wiring into?

Old 04-16-2022, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by brucewalker
I want to add a class III hitch receiver to my 2022 CX-9 Signature.
I am guessing it will block the sensor for the "hands free" liftgate option.
Are there any other issues related to that sensor?
Does it need to be removed, or anything like that in order to install the hitch that would complicate things?
Also, even though I have not taken the towing package option, is the OEM tow package harness connector available behind the right rear trim panel (behind 12V socket) that I can plug my wiring into?

For the last 30 years, light harnesses have numerous plugs to make assembly easier. The aftermarket makes adapters that you unplug one connection, then plug the trailer wiring in and plug the factory into both sides of the adapter. When I had the connector added to my '16 CX-5, the installer had to take quite a bit of he interior apart to install it. As to the lift remote sensor, my car doesn't have that so I cant say for sure. I've never really looked at the differences between the CX-5 and 9. I know the interiors are quite different, I'm not sure about the details underneath.

Trailer hitch receiver on CX-5

Old 09-28-2022, 11:27 PM

When I installed a hitch for a bike rack I did not have any problems with it. I just turn off the rear sensors before transporting the bike that I got here.

Last edited by Markzz; 09-30-2022 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:31 PM

When I put the receiver and electrical kit on my '16 CX9 the toughest part was finding how to pop the plastic interior panels in the back loose to get to the wiring connector. For the receiver I bought a plier-like tool to get the rubber exhaust hangers loose (it needs to be lowered for the installation then put back in place at the end). I used a jack and a stack of lumber pieces to prop up the receiver while I bolted it into place.

Lots of great information here: https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle/2022/Mazda/CX-9

Old 10-02-2022, 09:40 AM

I have 2022 CX9 Signature with a 7 pin hitch install by the dealer with the purchase (last month) including the brake controler. The Hands Free is still working very well. It is about 2 inches at the right of the receiver