Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Bit of an odd transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 01:56 AM
Question Bit of an odd transmission swap

I have an engine from a 1.8L Mazda MX-5 that I am planning on using in a formula chassis (that I designed and am welding up). My issue is I need to figure out what the best manual transmission would be, I could go the transaxle route, or I could use possibly some fwd Honda civic transmission and mount the engine sideways. From what I could find there was little to no documentation of using an mx-5 engine on a rear mounted formula car and haven't found any sort of useful information on compatible fwd transmissions. Any suggestions for compatible transmissions would be appreciated whether it means I need a bell housing adapter or not.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:33 AM

Welcome to the forum

Your project is a first and you would be the builder to post what could be done ? None of those transmission will handle to much torque without reinforce some internal and external areas of the case. Thats about my limit to input on your project!

Good luck and post up your progress and pictures!