Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Blue smoke for the first 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Default Blue smoke for the first 10 seconds

Blue smoke for the first 10 seconds or so.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Default RE: Blue smoke for the first 10 seconds

1995 Millenia S with Miller Cycle engine and recently had the water pump replaced by a local Firerstone mechanic that says he has experience with Mazda's. The vehicle now smokes on start up for the first 10 seconds or so and then runs well. The mechanic has checked what he can but doesn't know why this is happening. This never happened before so am wondering what could cause this to suddenly happen. Many thanks, Dave...

Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 PM

I understood that the supercharger had to be removed to get to the water pump so my thoughts were whether this or other associated components could have been assembled poorly that could cause the smoking problem.

I understand the valve seals could also cause this problem but in my experience, happends over time slowly so my first impression was something was install incorrectly or maybe a re-used gasket instead of using a new one.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to detirmining whether this could be caused by the valve seals or supercharger.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 PM

The supercharger does not need to be removed to replace the water pump Captn. Is this what the mechanic did?? You should be able to see if leakage is from supercharger area by removing the front intercooler and looking for oil pooling in there. Leaking valve stem seals would not be able to get oil into the coolers but only directly into the combustion chambers. How much smoke are you getting for the first 10 seconds?? A little is not really that abnormal but should not be seeing a great blue cloud.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM

I have the same problem on my 1995 Millenia S..many people told me that it's the charger done, but i have serious doubts.

First...why it smoke at start...you drive for a while stop the car leave it to rest and after some minutes started it again and doesn't smoke again.

Why doesnot smoke all the time, it looks like whern the valve seals are bad and the first smoke is for the oil on the combustion chamber but once it was consumed it doesn't smoke again.

You have to check your spark plugs..if the charger is bad it should wet all s/p wilt oil not just some of them.

I have the same problem and it's bothering me...this w/e I'm going to visit two mechanics friend of mine to check it seriously. Any advice I'll let you know.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM

Will be great to hear what you find out this w/e, this problem bothers me too.

Babyheuy mentioned "should be able to see if leakage is from supercharger area by removing the front intercooler and looking for oil pooling in there"

Question: Does this pooling situation happen from the charger only after the engine is switched off? If so, this would explain why it smokes after it starts only.

If charger is leaking continuously, I would think it would smoke all the time. If leakage is continuous when engine is running, oil that remains in the intercooler after switch off just collects in the intercoller ready to burn on start up.

Can anyone confirm this hypothesis one way or the other.

With help here, we will get to understand this problem more.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 AM

I had leaky valve sealed on a couple of my vehicles. The oil at start-up only (not continuous) is because the leakage itself is actually quite small, and only after a few hours has enough oil accumulated to create visible smoke. Same could be said for the supercharger leak you think you may have.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM

babyhuey wrote:
.....How much smoke are you getting for the first 10 seconds?? A little is not really that abnormal but should not be seeing a great blue cloud.

Yes, it seems to be a blue cloud for the first 10 seconds and then gone.

If its the charger, does this oil collect after the engine is switched off in the intercooler for this to happen at start up?

There is definitely no visible smoke when the engine is switched off...

Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM

Well if you needed a new water pump I am going to bet you overheated the car. If you over heat you usually burn up your seals or head gaskets... and you get a little oil leakage... which burns blue. Did you run it around with the bad water pump? Sorry I am gonna defend your mechanic on this one.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:51 PM

well I continue wirt the problem...but we saw that the PVC valve was bad...now we are looking if the valve was bringing the oil into the charger and then to the chamber....but now I have the problem that sometines at low revolutions the engine goes off.....