Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

half shaft replacement.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Default half shaft replacement.....

Anyone out there with 2001/2 Mille that'shad thehalf-shafts rebuilt....I've only driven the car about three days since having the work done andI've detected a slight "pop/clunk" sound as I'm slowing down and coming to a stop....any ideas...perhaps the remanufacturer didn't get it right?

Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: half shaft replacement.....

we have 2 99's. both cars had both axles replaced at about 60k. on one car, i had them done at sears. who redid them 3 times. each time, they had to send the axle out to get rebuilt, which is not a good way to do it. finally, i went and got some reman ones and installed them myself. if your stock axles were rebuilt, they didnt do a good job, and you should take it back. also, they destroyed the ball joints when they replaced the axles. if you have an oreilly's auto parts in your area, they use the same rebuilder that mazda usa uses. iirc, it is cardone. they basically take the shaft, and put new cv joints. rebuilders will take the old cv joint, and grind the ***** down, which takes away the surface hardening. also, since the ***** are now smaller, you get play. the axles are easy to change, takes about an hour each side. if you had a sloppy shop change them, they probably fubar'd the ball joints, too.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:25 PM

thanks, dude......it turns out that the noise I'm hearing "was" coming from the brakes!
When I hada Mazda tech put the car on a lift, he showed me that the brake rotors had not been cut/turned correctly.....the machine shop really did a crappy job....thenew brake pads that I installed were getting hung-up on the edge of the rotor and causing them to knock within the caliper!!!
So, the good news is that the Mazda dealership did an excellant job havingmy orig half-shafts rebuilt and installing them inthe car!
Sorryto hear about all the trouble you had with Sears....you know what they sayabout "if you want the job done right"?Hopefully my experience will help you or someone elsethat runs across the sameproblem I had!!!!

Hasta' - JP

Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 PM

a mazda dealer would never rebuild the axles. where in texas are you?