Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Help! Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Default Code p1540

Code P1540 Air bypass Valve circuit....... Should I return the car, or any new ideas now?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

You sound determined... and that's good! But the "dealer" you bought it from sounds like an idiot from what you've said.
As Ken said, it may be you're only recourse to return the car before it's too late and get your money back.
Or, and this is a BIG OR, if you can get them to refund some of your money so that you might seek out more "professional" advice.
I can't believe that their "professional" mechanic said to rewire the whole car, or even the engine bay to solve the problem. I may not be familiar with the Millenia as a whole, but that so-called solution sounds completely ludicrous to me.
They are throwing good money after bad because they don't have a clue how to fix it either.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

there are 4 solenoids in a row back there. if you can imagine you are standing in front of the car looking towards the back, the vent solenoid(KJ03-18-741A) is the second from the right. the vacuum(KJ02-18-741A) is forth from the right, or closest to the driver. the vacuum solenoid controls boost, and if bad, it will throw the 1540 code. also, if there is a leak in the vacuum lines that connect to the vacuum solenoid, it will throw the 1540 code. i first wonder if they have really replaced anything. now i am wondering if this is a mazda dealer, or even a new car dealer. but whatever. new car dealers dont like to spend money on trade ins, which is what this car must be. the cost of the parts they have installed probably exceeds the value of the car, and you are running out of time. take it back. if you really like the car, go find a good used one, 01 and later. the 01 and later have a 30% stiffer chassis, a rear sway bar, and radio controls on the steering wheel. they also come stock with an indash 6 cd changer. larger front brakes. projector headlites, and the seats have lumbar adjustments. you probably got this car for a killer price because it was killing the dealer. the car needs to be fixed, not have parts thrown at it at random

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM

I got it for $2650.... the price was 3500.... I thought I was getting a deal bc my 5 week old son had a major surgery and spent a long time in Childrens Hospital, so they felt bad. They said they spent 1500 between labor and parts. I guess I have to give up and pick another car on the lot.....

Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Default P1540

Originally Posted by keninn
this sure sounds like the vacuum solenoid. it lives on the right bank, and it gets a lot of heat. both vent and vacuum will ohm good, but when hot will ohm bad, and fail. when it goes limp home, does the ce lite come on, does it flash? also, when you turn it off then back on, is the ce lite out? you are just driving a ticking time bomb. if you keep this car, it will eat your lunch. and wiring has nothing to do with it. the dealer is hoping you keep the car long enough so they can say you own it. take it back and get your money back
Keninn - I truly thought I was done with you, but here I am. I just posted my problem(and frustration) but then I found this thread. I am having the TCM and TCM OFF lights on with solid CEL. This occurs only after the car is warmed up. If I turn off the ignition and restart, it runs fine, no TCM lights, but the CEL is on solid(code P1540). Are you saying the solution is to replace the vacuum solenoid?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by santa6
Keninn - I truly thought I was done with you, but here I am. I just posted my problem(and frustration) but then I found this thread. I am having the TCM and TCM OFF lights on with solid CEL. This occurs only after the car is warmed up. If I turn off the ignition and restart, it runs fine, no TCM lights, but the CEL is on solid(code P1540). Are you saying the solution is to replace the vacuum solenoid?
it could be. you should first ohm the solenoids. analog, not digital. they should ohm at 26-30. above that, or 0, and they are bad. i believe every 2.3 will go thru this. also, as they heat up, the resistance changes. iow, they start to crap out when they get hot

Old 10-17-2011, 05:55 AM

check the ABV vent solenoid and ABV vacuum solenoid, remove the connectors and try connecting to a 12v supply/car battery , you can hear the clicking sound if no sound probably its not working and needs to be replaced. and also check all vacuum lines connected to these solenoid.

milleniatech.net - KL-ZEM (2.3L V6) Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram (1996+ Models)