Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Milly getting all steamed up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Default Milly getting all steamed up.

New User to this forum Here is my Dilemma .

i have a 1995 Millenia 2.5 with 104,000 miles on it Love the car had it 18 months and not a problem with it i drive about 25,000 miles a year in it . Recently it has started to Expel water out of the Radiator cap opening when i have it idling it does not overheat at all . But when i close the Radiator cap it has puffs of steam out of cap area and hot water will expel out of the expansion tank overflow pipe. I have replaced the thermostat which is a job in its self. Heater works fine
Any suggestions ,on what it might be
Water pump?
Head Gasket?
Gremlins ?

Please give me some of your feedback

How difficult is it to replace the Water pump on this vehicle If it is that

I have pretty good mechanical skills.

Thanks
.JohnBoy.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Milly getting all steamed up.

when the car is cold, squeeze the upper radiator hose(this will be for reference), it will easily yield. after the car is well warmed up(at least several minutes of running), try it again. it should be VERY firm. if not, i would suspect bad radiator cap, not allowing the system to hold pressure. if the radiator cap has not been changed in a while, i would go ahead and change it anyway.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the response i did change the Radiator cap
Next was the thermostat .

Now i am looking for any one who might hold the key to my Steamed up milly.

Thanks

john.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:03 PM

the cooling system becomes pressurized when it is hot. it sounds like the pressure is escaping from the radiator cap/cap area, if the cap is good(and just because the cap is new does NOT guarantee you it is good. especially if it is NOT genuine), then perhaps the expansion tank has a leak right there. the cap must be able to hold a certain amount of pressure, looks like about 1 bar on our 99's. if the cap cannot hold 1 bar, it can do exactly as you describe. if the system is at operating temp, and you remove the cap, it will instantly boil and come out the overflow and the cap opening. try another cap, and/or make sure the expansion tank can also hold pressure. perhaps you can borrow a tool to pressurize the cap, and the system. they look like a midget bicycle tire pump.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the Input . i will do as you suggest replace rad cap with a factory one from the dealer and Pressurize the System to see if it holds

I will keep you undated.

John.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Just wanted to give an update on my Steamed up Milly. Too try and help any one else who might have the Same issue.

I had a Combustion gas analyasis done on it to make sure the Cylinder head was not Blown that can back ok.
Then we discovered after talking to a Mazda master tech that the Cooling system on those cars can get an Air lock in them and require to be Bleed. Which they did and it solved my issue.

Hope this will help some one .

Thanks for all the Responses.

JohnBoy.