Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

need engine compartment photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Default need engine compartment photos

I am new to this forum, but not new to my 98 Millenium S. The motor blew a few weeks ago, and I have installed a used motor from JDM engines almost succesfully. However, I am down to some mysterious vacuum lines and one electrical connection. I need some pics of the engine compartment to help me finish my journey. Particulary on the passenger side at the top side of the motor where the fuel pressure regulator is mounted (I can't figure out where the pressure regulator gets power from), and on the back firewall where there is a rigid passthrough vacuum line mounted which I have no clue what it goes to. The engine starts, but runs rough and has no power. My first inclination is a vacuum leak.

I have two different manuals, and neither one is especially great for the 2.3 liter engine.

If anybody has questions about changing engines, I'll be glad to relay my memorable experience (I'd rather work on the Space Shuttle next time).

[IMG]local://upfiles/4498/B935C8135AC246AD987FDC0C497B6699.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Default RE: need engine compartment photos

that line is not used. we have 2 99 s'. i have seen that on both our cars, and i just went out to verify. nothing is attached to them. fuel pressure is mechanical, there are no electrical lines. did you reuse any of the jdm stuff, like the fuel injectors, coils, spark plugs, etc?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks Keninn, I could not remember. The fuel pressure regulator control solenoid is what I was searching for power for. It ,in turn, controls the fuel pressure regulator via vacuum pressure, and is interconnected with the MAP sensors on the passenger firewall just behind the strut. I did use the wiring harness that came with the engine, along with the coils, intake manifold, the front exhaust manifold (the rear one was short one O2 sensor), intercoolers (since they mounted different from my originals). I think that's it.

I did get it going last night about 10:30 (whew). She runs smooth as can be. Although today I've got to connect the speedometer (oops). I ended up having to change the section of wiring harness on the motor the connects to the rear plugs, power steering pump, I think the oil temp sender, crank position sensor, something on the supercharger, fuel rails, and that special little fuel pressure control solenoid which I could not find the connector for because it wasn't there. Talk about a job with the motor in. I bet I looked over the old harnesses fifty times before I noticed it had an extra connector. A Mazda mechanic I'll never be.

There is one wire which connects to the very top of the power steering pump that I fully intended to splice onto with the other harness, but I pulled it loose in the process. I ended up having to pull the passenger drive axle back out so I could just get my hand up in there to reconnect it (extremely lucky).

So far I am pleased with the JDM engine. My only complaint to them is a familiar one, packaging for shipping is lackluster. It is palletized, strapped down and wrapped in plastic, but there is nothing to protect the sides so naturally some things get buggered up in transport (wether it's before or during shipping who knows). However, it did come with the supercharger which most others pull off. It even had the alternator, exhaust manifolds, and air intake housing attached. The wire harness was cut loose from the fire wall along with anything else not attached to the engine. I assume it came from a wreck. What I don't understand is the whole Jap import under 50,000 mile thing. I thought it was some sort of engine swap program in Japan, but nobody replaced this engine judging they way it was removed (sawsall).

I'll quit rambling before I set the record for longest post. I'm just content drinking my coffee this morning knowing my car is running once again.

Johhny Beckman

[IMG]local://upfiles/4498/BC30BA64BB2F428D81E48677FCEED2AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2006, 01:22 PM

in japan, every year the vehicle registration costs go up so much, that after a few years, it is cheaper to just buy a new car. additionally, the people dont drive that much. lots of traffic, no parking, and great mass transit. it is illegal in japan to put used parts on a car, i am sure it is done, but they are just recycled. also, the japanese take VERY good care of their stuff. there is a HUGE market for jdm motors and transmissions here in the us. i put a jdm motor in my 91 galant vr4. when it came, it was so clean i thought it was new. only after pulling the exh manifold could i see it had been run. actually, 1 exh stud was already broke, a common problem on the 4g63t motor.
i am betting the fpr solenoid is just to hold vacuum to the fpr during hot start. this insures full pressure in the rail to the injectors, probably to overcome vapor lock. we always disconnect that curcuit on the 1G dsm's. your motor was just like mine was, looked like they took a huge saw, and just cut around everything. i didnt get the transaxle/transfer case, but i have seen them where even the axles are cut, as is part of the driveshaft. but you can tell they used a torch on them. did the jdm motor also come with pre cats?
i hope you changed the timing belt/pulleys/tensioner when that motor was on the stand. the galant motor is a real pita to change when in the car, it was so easy on the engine stand, i have often contemplated pulling the motor just to change the timing belt. also, it would be really easy to change out the plugs with it off the car, then you dont have to worry for years. i thank mazda for a non interference motor. so, any parts off the old motor for sale?

Old 05-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info on JDM motors. That improves my confidence exponentially about where the motor came from. I did change the timing belt, plugs, and water pump, no pullies or tensioner though. I'm still working on the speedometer issue. The sensor is plugged in, but still doesn't work. Also the shift hold light is flashing which I saw some other posts on.

I am planning on selling the other parts. The reason the other engine blew was because a heater hose busted and my dear wife didn't stop in time. Actually, it melted the sidewall out of two rear pistons. This made me weary of rebuilding that block because of the heat stress. I don't know if it is good, bad, or ugly. The heads appear o.k., but I've not checked for warpage yet. I'll do that before I offer it for sale. I've got valve covers, intercoolers, ducting from supercharger to intakes, intake manifolds, misc. wiring and vacuum stuff and pretty much everything else attached to the engine. I als have a driver's side headlight (I bought the pair off ebay and only needed the passenger side).

I'll probably hang onto the supercharger while I have this car.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:00 PM

i am always in the market for oxygen sensors. we have 2 99's, 83k and 78k, and i know i will be needing sensors soon. i have generics, and i want to get harness's, so i can splice them in prior to install. makes the install go faster. wives are hard on cars, but i notice that the millenia has a very subdued ce lite, so it is easy to overlook until it is too late. gauges only work if you look at them, and if a hose goes, the life of an aluminum block can be counted in seconds.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Hi -

Would you have a set of ignition coils available?

- Larry