Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Rear suspension squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Default Rear suspension squeak

I have a 98 millenia (non S) and it has a bad squeak in the rear which is obviously related to the suspension. It isn't noticeable at highway speeds because there's not a lot of suspension movement. However, around town it is fairly loud especially when I have passengers in the back seat. I've looked for grease fittings around the rear suspension, but can't find anything. Do the struts just need to be replaced? If so, does anyone know where I can get them, or an aftermarket replacement? And is it something that is fairly easy to do yourself?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 12-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Default RE: Rear suspension squeak

Jimmy: Just take some lube gel or spray silicone and jack up the rear end. Get down there and spray anything that looks like it moves. As long as you don't spray your rotors, I don't think it's very likely you're gonna hurt anything.
I was having the same problem with my 01s but it was only when I went over these speed bumps in my apt complex and it was LOUD, no matter how slow I crept over them. Now it's practically gone.
I did NOT spray the shocks. just joints that were obvious around the rear axle.

Also, if you take your car to have the oil changed, I think for a few bucks extra most places will lube the joints up, or even do it for free.
-Anthony

Old 12-17-2006, 10:29 PM

ummm...there aint no zerk fittings in/on the suspension. it is all sealed. if there IS zerk fittings, then someone replaced that part with buttco stuff. also, there is a bulletin about noise in the right rear, iirc, you replace one of the strut rods. our black car had noise back there that sounded like a bedspring, at least, that is what my wife said. i couldnt hear it, thanks to a couple of tours of duty i did in vietnam. however, the car had been tapped in the rear a couple of times. then, she was hit again at the drive thru at wendy's, and after we had it repaired, the noise went away.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did jack the car up last week and used spray silicone on every moving part I could see. It fixed it for one day. I'm wondering if it isn't the struts that is squeaking, but the rubber bushings themselves. I think I'm going to have a tire replaced tomorrow and I'll see if they'll also lube the joints for a reasonable price.