Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Interior lights do not come on when door open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Default Interior lights do not come on when door open.

Had this car a while ago, bought it used, and want to get this issue fixed.

02 MPV ES

The interior lights do not turn on when any door, or trunk, is ajar.

All the door switches work, the door ajar light comes on when the doors open, and a beep can be heard if you leave the lights on.

The switches are all set to 'door', and all the lights work if you turn them on manually.

Fuses are all good, the fuse that handles room lights handles a lot more, so this is just wildly confusing.

Is there a hidden relay thats bad? Maybe a connection isn't good? Very weird issue.

I'll check voltage here shortly, see if anything happens when I open the door on the light rails.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:38 AM

Hi Razeth,

I just bought a 2017 CX-9 GT. At the time of purchase I did not notice the interior lights not coming on with the door open. I have the same problem you described.

One of the lights was out, so I bought a replacement led. I then opened the covers and noted that the led lights have been replaced with incandescent. The incandescent lights had a melted plastic on them.

I replaced the light that was out with the led bulb, but it did not turn on. I then put the led bulb in another interior light and it did not turn on. I think mixing incandescent and led is a no-no. I plan on replacing on the interior lights with led. I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

Have you fixed your problem?