Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Charge light comes on when turning steering wheel. help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 10:57 PM
Default Charge light comes on when turning steering wheel. help!!

Charge light comes on when turning the steering wheel. Ok, so I have a 1991 Mazda 626 DX. Over the past few months, I noticed my charge light would come on when making turns or turning the wheel but it was random and hard to reproduce on demand. but in the last week, things have gone crazy. the charge light started coming on every time I turned the wheel. then I started to lose power steering only when turning the wheel. I thought it was the belts so I replaced both. problems only got worse. so I decided to test things out by removing one belt at a time I started by removing the alternator belt and my power steering was back so I assumed the alternator was bad. I have a fresh one rebuilt pulled the old one off popped the new one on and now I have power steering but my charge lights still come on when turning the wheel.

While looking at the Alternator belt and having someone turn the wheel I can see the belt slow down even stop for a moment then start moving again. It's like it under a massive load. IDK for sure. I am not sure what is causing this but I need some help. it is either a short or something I not sure about.

Thank you to anyone and everyone that helps guide me through this.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

The alternator maybe computer control by the PCM/ECU. What is the voltage at the battery when the light comes on?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM

it turned out to be the Crankpulley/harmonic balancer.