Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 Protege Auto Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Default 02 Protege Auto Lock Issue

So I'll start off by saying I had a broken actuator in the rear driver side door which I replaced about a year ago so I recognize the sound a broken actuator will make and know from self diagnosis that this is not the issue. As of today I noticed that my key fob wasn't locking/unlocking the doors consistently. Sometime the doors all lock but will not unlock, or vice versa. Sometime a few doors lock or unlock but not all. The recently replaced one has the highest success rate on lock/unlock, the driver's side has the lowest but they all seem to be affected. I figured it was the fob but it seems to be happening with the switch on the driver's side door inside the car as well. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue is. I don't really want to assume I have three faulty actuators especially since they normally either work or the plastic arm inside snaps and then they don't work. I thought maybe the fuse is going bad but as far as I'm thinking fuses normally blow or don't so it shouldn't be half working, right? I don't know if any other parts are involved in this Auto Lock system for this specific car but would appreciate any input as to what the problem could be. Having one broken lock for a while was manageable (though inconvenient) but having to crawl around inside to unlock all the doors everytime is not ideal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Nick