Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Just bought a 2000 Protege. Getting a couple of error codes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM

So far it's been running great. Still waiting for those 2 readiness monitors to switch over.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but does anyone know how to change the heater control lights? The controls themselves work fine, but there's no lights behind them. It also looks like a bulb on the cluster is burnt out as well, as the RPM's above 4000 don't appear to be lit up properly.

Also, not sure if the shifter (automatic) has lights behind the different gears or not. But if it does, those ones aren't working either.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM

This is from a mazda truck, but the cars are similar:
You are looking at the back side of the instrument cluster. The arrows point to the illumination sockets.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
This is from a mazda truck, but the cars are similar:
You are looking at the back side of the instrument cluster. The arrows point to the illumination sockets.
Ahh perfect!

Any idea for the heater control lights and/or shifter lights? I saw one tutorial about changing the color of the lights, but that involved soldering LED's onto a PCB..which seems like it might have been for a different set of lights..

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

In principle it should be the same thing for the climate control unit, and similar for the gear indicator. But you will be surprised where they hide the screws and clips to hold the bezels in place.

Look at some videos so you know what to expect.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM

So I managed after a bunch of effort, to get the climate control lights and the burnt out tach light replaced. It was a bit of a P.I.T.A to figure out which bulbs were being used.

Does the gear indicator on the shifter have a backlight? If it does, I'll take the whole center console apart. Don't want to waste my time though if it doesn't.

Other than that, the only thing that needs replacing is the passenger side headlight assembly. Not sure what the previous owner did, but the plastic housing inside that holds the bulb seems to have worn out and the bulb doesn't seat at all.

Also, thank you all for your replies! Next stop is a Haynes manual...