Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

no check engine light

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 01:24 PM
|
Default no check engine light

After returning home from a trip, went to start 1999 protege 1.6 MT. It will crank, but would not start, check engine light not on, fuel pump not turning on and no spark. Checked all relays and fuses, inside and under hood. all good. I also checked the check engine light bulb and replaced it with a new one. Still no light. I also, checked the ignition switch via connector with a power probe, all good. The only thing I can think of is that ECU died. If I replace it, is it plug n play? Any help would greatly appreciated

Old Yesterday | 03:44 PM

So you do realize that the dash check engine light is only a light and does not always mean that there will be an active DTC. You must use a diagnostic scanner and connect it to the OBDII diagnostic connect to retrieve any and all DTC. There will be multiple DTC based on your description. If there is none or you cannot connect to the ECU/PCM then have a harness or connector issue or a failing or failed ECU/PCM

So your first task is to attempt to retrieve the ECU/PCM information.

I suggest DO NOT replace any parts even the ECU/PCM without verifying that they have failed. Doing so usually results in adding additional issues to the current unresolved one(s).

Old Yesterday | 04:52 PM
|

Thanks, Forgot to mention I did run a scan, was unable to communicate with the ECU. I also checked all the connectors and wires, all seem good. How do I confirm the ECU has failed?

Old Yesterday | 05:11 PM

You pretty much just did.
A better equipped shop like ours we would try to run a pass-through or flash as some call it, if the ECU/PCM would not complete then it is a given a bad unit.
Her is the thing many ECU, PCM, TCM rebuilder use a simpler method. They connect it to a device and push the on button if the green light comes on its good it the bad light comes on its bad. Then they go to the trouble of Flashing it as per the VIN it will be going back to. lol