Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Wrong Fuel at the pump, now problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 PM

short of a standalone EMS, the only piggyback solution for our cars are the Unichip which is 100% plug and play..literally. The only downside is it is not tuner friendly by the end user. It has to be sent to an authorized tuner if you get new mods that require tuning. The other solution is the Split Second Air/Fuel Controller(SSAFC). It has a lot of support for our platform and is easily tuned by the end user via a USB to serial cable(bought from any office supply store) and the R4 software that comes with it. There are a couple of other more capable solutions like Megasquirt and the MPI Tuner. Both control fuel and timing and are the closest thing you can get to a standalone solution at the price of a piggyback. These along with the SSAFC require splicing/soldering. When it comes to tuning with these cars, the engines can't handle a lot of boost without a solid tune. Hell, these cars can blow on stock boost without tuning. If you decide to get one of these, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what target AFRs to look for to get a safe fuel mixture. Oh, before I forget, make sure you get a wideband air/fuel gauge like an AEM UEGO to monitor mixtures and a boost gauge. Hope this helps.