Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

87 rx-7 n/a starts but won't run

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: 87 rx-7 n/a starts but won'

thanks for all the help, i am currently waiting for my injectors to get here, i'll let you all know what i come up with

Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM

IF one or more of the apex seals are stuck you may have some luck breaking them loose and improving your compression by doing this:
Get a can of Amsoil Power Foam. Spray entire contents of can into the intake (through the throttle body and into the dynamic chamber). Disconnect the fuses for the fuel pump and the injectors. Turn the engine over a few times with the starter so that all surfaces of the rotors are coated thoroughly with the Amsoil foam. Let the engine sit for two or three hours to soak. Replace the fuel pump and injector fuses. Start the car. This is NOT guaranteed to work but this IS the absolute best method for trying to fix it without a complete teardown. And it'll only cost you about $10.00.
Hope that helps.
Foyal

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM

We r having the same problem with a 87 rx7 turbo it starts but then stalls we had repaced feul pump prior to this problem and it ran fine, we have spark, have by passed fuel relays and direct wired pump for testing, compresion is good 85psi on all 3 comp. both rotors, got spark, injectors are new, swaped computer, swapped mass air sensor with a known good one the old one checks ok, if I spray fuel in while my son starts it it will rev and continue running and will rev up as he presses gas pedal runs in a normal state except me adding extra fuel in a vacum port but with out the extra fuel it stalls in 3-5 seconds or faster if you touch gas pedal. is there something we are missing I see in this post some have mentioned the afm what is that and where is it? The car ran fine prior this problem was running outside warming up on a cold winter day then it stalled and would not run other then restart and stalling as above. Thanks

Last edited by jdrx7; 03-28-2011 at 07:50 PM.