Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Buying Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Default Buying Help

Hi I am new to the forums and was considering buying a Mazda RX-7. The car is a 1993 RX-7 with 53,000 miles on it. It is a manual twin turbo. Things included are: Driver Air Bag; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Radio; Cruise Control; Passenger Air Bag; Power Door Locks; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof. The car is all stock and in good running order selling for $8,150.

My question is would this be a good price for the car? Do you think that there may be something wrong with it because other RX-7's seem more expensive online. Also with only 53k miles on the car would it be a good purchase in terms of reliability? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Default RE: Buying Help

That is a scam. No FD(3rd gen) with less than 150k miles will fetch under $12,000. It;s not running I guarantee it needs a ton of work. Consider a turbo 1987-1992 Rx-7. specifically 1989-1991.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Buying Help (more Needed)

Thank you for your help on the first post that I made. Now I have a question about another RX-7 that I was interested in. Here is the link...

1993_Mazda_RX-7 (Cars.com)

I was wondering if this car would be a good investment. I noticed that it has a salvage title. Is there anything that I should look out for concerning this? The car looks as if it is in good shape but I am worried about internals even though it has a relatively new engine. Is there anything I could do to verify the safety of the car, like take it to be inspected at a dealership? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:27 PM

It looks to be pretty good. I'd hope that it was well taken care of. If not maintained properly (oil needs to be checked when you fill up at the pump due to the design of the rotary, also the first 1000 miles had to be "broken in"). If the oil or other minro matenance that is similar to a piston engine, the engine can give in as low as 60k miles, a friend baught a 46k mile rotary and had it break t 47.5k miles even though he did everything right. The 3rd generation has th emost sensitive accident proned engine, but it is all due to ownership error. You gamble when you buy any car used, just Rx-7s more. That one looks to be in very good condition. Pictures can be mischevious though. Test drive the vehicle and see if everyhting runs smooth. Install a temporary boost guage (other sites tel lyou how to do a quick install with the vaccume lines) at full throttle the boost should push to 10psi then quickly drop at around 4,000 RPM and go back to 10psi again. If it doesn't come back to 10 psi again the 2nd turbo is broken. Another common problem is the 5th gear syncros being shot (caused when trying ot shift from 4th to 5th and missing to 3rd. Last few things is remove the intake from the turbo and spin the blades, they should spin freely but not rock back and fourth within the housing or the turbo is dammaged. If you buy the car go to a dealer and replace all hoses, belts, and any rubber that might be rotting away. Possibly the tires too for dryrot., Then at some point early in driving try to nearly redline the engine and shift late once a week or so to clear the rotor housings of carbon buildup. Also do the whole oil checking thing and do not use synthetics. You'll also want to know the deflooding procedure. Remove the fuel pump fuse and ECU fuse (EGI INJ & ENG COMP)and crank with a wide open throttle. Replace fuse and start. If still flooded, remove spark plugs, crank, put a few drops of oil in the spark plug holes, replace plugs and start (will be smokey but it's normal). there, you're basically ready to own an Rx-7 and you know what to look for.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Does not state why the car has a salvage title. I would stay away from it.