Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

RX-7 Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Default RX-7 Exhaust question

Yo....

So i got this... 1984 RX-7. 12A engine, 5spd manual, all the good stuff you know... I put a flowmaster performance muffler on the back of it cause the stock was what... 75 punds or something? And this ones only 15 and plus it gets better airflow and gives a little bit of a kick to my torque. On the end of the muffler, i just welded on a 6 inch pipe thats 2 and a half inches in diameter.

Now ive heard of people drilling holes in the tips to make em louder (mines kinda weak, still havent gotten a new cat) so i was just wondering what kind of a design and or how many holes make it sound like what. My friends done a 3 hole triangle patter on his exhaust on his Geo Storm GSI and it sounds extremely high pitched. Kinda too much for me so i just wanted to hear what you guys think that have done something like this would be the best. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Default RE: RX-7 Exhaust question

i don't exacly understand what you are trying to achieve. How far before the end of the exhaust do you intend to drill these holes? if you do it too far you may have to make sure you drive with both windows down as you are probably going to have to get all the exhaust fumes out of your car.

If you want your car to sound louder you should get a sports exhaust. I have the same car with yes all the good stuff too, it has dual exhaust all the way to the diff into a 3" then into an ugly muffler with two dumps.

It idles nicley, nothing too intolerable, but when you put your foot down it screams. i would like it a little louder. i am thinking of running the two exhausts all the way with two cannons on it, but in my country we have limitations on loudness. so i will have it set up to put the old system back on without too much trouble.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

drilling holes in the end wont increase sound much..if anything, it will make it sound like you have an exhaust leak.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 PM

Well, my friend drilled a triangle pattern, 3 holes only and his exhaust screamed louder than hell...

Old62: Heh, where i live, they dont even care about the emissions so im getting ready to rip out my rats nest and then im probably gonna get rid of my cat and run about 2 inch or so straight pipe with a big ol can on the end :P I imagine it will sound better than the 4 RX-8's (yes, only 4....) driving around here.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:06 AM
roo

I've heard of tuning tips...i.e. tips that are double walled construction, which resonate at a different frequency. As far as drilling holes, I'm not sure I'd advise it, since that would only work to create a turbulent airflow out the exhaust...

Old 08-24-2005, 12:18 AM

with your 2" are you getting a set of extractors?