Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

6 speed RX8 or auto RX8

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: 6 speed RX8 or auto RX8

go with the stick, u are buying a sports car rememember. With the rotary especially, i test drove one before i bought my 3 and that rotary can rev up to 10k rpm in no time very fun to drive

Old 08-04-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: xxxmaxximusxxx
Ikeep wondering how this would be possible....I've got a late model RX8 automatic with paddle shift, and floor shift mode...because of the lock out and shift gate; I can't see how anyone could possibly shift from a forward gear to reverse or neutral accidentally. I suspect Demoncroft hasn't actually ever been in a new RX 8 to see how it is configured. I won't call him a liar that wouldn't be gentlemanly, but I think he is full of crap. As for those who argue against automatics in a sports car, fair enough, but...what about dual clutch or semiautomatic or even Formula 1 type clutch-less shifting???? Don't tell the drivers of those very expensive and exotic cars that they aren't driving a sports car, you may be looked upon as an uneducated loutish dolt. Ferrari, Alfas, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW and nearly all other top end sports cars can come equipped with clutch-less or automatic shifters, some exclusively so. Two pedals or three pedals on the floor won't change a driver’s competence level. AND if anyone would take the time to look at Mazdas web site or at a dealer sticker, you will see that Mazda rates the automatic at a slightly higher mileage rating than the stick model. But, Demoncroft and some others can't be expected to know that since they have apparently never seen the inside of or driven a technologically balanced modern automobile.
For your info I haven't been in anything newer then the one I have, its a 04 red rx8 with a 4 speed auto, which I love the car and the engine but I am still dislike the tranny. I know that they now offer a 6 speed autonow and so I cant tell you much about it, but they might have upgraded the tranny andfixed that issue, so you might have something newer I can't tell you. I do know for a fact that it shifts thru to neutral without a second thought, and into reverse. If you want to test it out find an 04 and have at it.So before you start knock what someone else says, find out your facts first. I'm not upset about what you said but I just hae to say you should double check your data before you speak.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

I agree with xxxmaxximusxxxbut in rx8 world the stick is faster but if you live somewhere with heavy traffic and the rx8 is your daily driver auto would be better.