Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Default Oil Question

Now i've done alot of research on this, however everywhere i've looked i've been getting mixed answers or should I say everywhere I've read. Now currently The dealership does my oil but i'm hoping that someone will give me a straight answer without beating around the bush or being rude about it. However, I'm sorry if this has allready been asked from what I saw it hasn't if it is i apologize.

Can you put synthetic oil into an rx-8? If so and you HAVE done it what changes good and bad have you noticed?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Default RE: Oil Question

my 2007 RX-8 owners manual states the following........do not use gasoline additives, use premium 91 octane or better fuel, and use 5-20 regular oil .... do not use synthetic oil. for me that is the bottom line. the guys who build this type of engine know what works best, everything else is here say, opinion or folklore.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM

I'd have to agree with Maxximus....follow the recommendations in the owners manual.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM

I agree. What the tuners don't have is access to long-term testing. The tuners aren't taking a test engine, putting it on the test bench, putting different oil in it, and running the engine for 50,000 miles. What the tuners do might work for a time, but they have no way of knowing for sure what the long-term effects are.

If the manual says regular 5W-20, go with the 5W-20.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM

allright thanks guys! i currently put 5w20 so i'm going by the manual and the dealer does that as well. I just noticed an incredible difference when i used it in my previous car a 2.2 automatic cobalt. So i just wondered how it would do here.

i have a nother question if you guys still read this...

if you're non aspirated is it truely a waste of money to get an intake?? I've been told it's a waste of money and i've also been told that it gives them a little more hp.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM

the second question is more "iffy"..... a cold air intake might give a 2% maybe 3% increase in Hp. it could also create a corresponding increase in fuel consumption which is partly due to change in driving habits due to "little bitty" increase in Hp. The guy on Motorweek TV says to increase engine output.... first look at free-er flowing exhaust, second free-er flowing catalytic converter. Then cold air intake....then headers, then piston re-bore, fly wheels, valve intakes, all the more major engine work. The easiest( I think) is actually the muffler and cat. converter.....to install some of the cold air intake systems requires removal ( and reinstallation of course) of the front bumper fascia, i'm not sure why. My own just personal opinion if I were seriously thinking of doing any of the above would to be go with MazdaSpeed parts at an approved MazdaSpeed (not all are) Mazda dealer....however I know that there are some reputable Mazda afterparts shops in my SF Bay area...and I'd seriously look at them....BUT... check out their experience with the RX8 because of the rotary. I have also seen advertised somewhere on the web, an "improved" front fascia which allows a 20% increase in air flow to the engine compartment, it looked kool, i'm not sure how much good it did though.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 PM

hrm. that's very interesting thanks. I was just wondering. I bought my car the way you see it well not with the bra. But it came with an aftermarket borla-cat back exhaust system. Just alot of people have told me don't put in an intake it's not worth it, it doesn't do anything for your car it's a waste of money. I know i have a rotary engine. I felt an increase definately with my cobalt. And that's why i'm so iffy on whether or not i should look into one. Because obviously the rx-8 is MUCH different. It's soo hard to decide when everything you read or hear is like two-sided one says do this way one says don't do it at all.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:16 PM

with your borla -cat back you are almost there, one cautionary i saw somewhere about bottom mounted air intakes was a problem with sucking up road moisture and this time of year with snow in some places and the car in front to you maybe throwing up a mix of water, ice and maybe salt or whatever.... i don't know what i'd do ... but honestly it's really hard to resist not going for it and i feel for your indecision. good luck

Old 12-11-2007, 01:29 PM

I don't seem to have that much of an issue in arizona except rain. LOL. If i do go with it, it won't be for awhile just trying to do some research ahead of time so i know what i want. I love my exhaust system it's loud but not too loud and definately doesn't sound ricey! Thanks for your help!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Jen,
We may be talking about apples and oranges here, though I doubt it really, I felt the same way (undecided) and took my time. My Vibrant exhaust came first and it comes w/a high flow cat, so I effectively took care of both things at the same time.Originally I dropped in a "drop in" K&N filter and modded the stock airbox while biding my time.I knew that sooner or later I would put some one's intake on.
During that time, about 2 years, I looked at all the different intakes from the eBay cheapies to that of the Injen and K&N variety. I also read and wrote many others and asked questions about theirs. I looked at dyno sheets that were posted online from manufacturer's and from individuals.
In the end I decided that I wanted either the Mazdaspeed, or the AEM which are the same thing (AEM makes the MS.) I decided because of cost, CEL issues and especially because these two intakes offered the best low end/mid endincrease, as well as also having some left for the top end. Since I have a street car, not a race car, these were/are important issues to me, and these two offer the best bang for the buck.
I also waited till I found the best price, looking for sales, GB's andprivate for sales. I bought mine from a guy, brand new, on one of the forums because he some how ended up w/2 different intakes. The MS was brand new, still sealed in the original carton, and $60 less than I had seen it anywhere else.
Power has improved. I broke the front tires loose w/o trying to the first day I drove to work on very familiar roads, so I knew low end was better. Smoothness has improved also. Mileage is about the same. I'll know more about that after a years driving w/it.
Are theyworth the $200-$400 these thing cost? Is anything? But I wouldn't go back either.
Does that give you some things to think about?

And BTW: I am impressed by the advice maxximus has been offering you too.He seems to know what he's talking about.
Also, I had seen that episode of Goss's Garage on Motorweek too. It wasn't all that long ago.

Quick Reply: Oil Question