Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

01 Mazda Tribute 6-CD Stereo Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Default 01 Mazda Tribute 6-CD Stereo Stopped Working

I have 2001 Mazda Tribute, and it came with a 6-CD changer, FM/AM tape cassette player stereo. At the time, it was supposed to be the top of the line stereo available for Tributes, and it included a 7-speaker package including a subwoofer in the cargo area in the rear, and two tweeters on the doors where the side mirrors are. My stereo stopped working a while back - it will not turn on nor light up, and the clock feature which is part of the stereo LED also does not work. I haven't bothered with it for a while, but I did check the fuse for it - it uses a tan 5A mini-fuse, which looks perfectly fine with no break in the fuse that I can see.

My big issue is that I have some favorite CDs held hostage inside the stereo, that I don't know how to remove. I guess since it's not a fuse issue and the stereo is really broken, I'll have to remove the unit from my dash in order to get my CDs out of it.

Are there any "how-to's" here regarding removing the stereo unit? I have tried using the search feature and browsing through this forum for the Tribute, but haven't seen anything posted. Have anyone else dealt with this issue with their Tribute?? Below is the model stereo I have:

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by lacene; 10-01-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:58 PM

I would swap the fuse in any case, sometimes those mini-fuses can blow but be very hard to see. Then pull the unit and see if there is a seperate unit fuse on the back panel.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Thank you, simonsi - that's exactly what I did! And I saw as soon as I clipped in the new fuse when the LED didn't come on, that it wasn't the fuse that is the issue. So I'll try to read up on how to remove the stereo unit from the dash, to see if there's another fuse on the back. I'll report back here on my findings. Thanks again!