Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

03 Tribute-Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Default 03 Tribute-Check Engine Light

I am the proud owner of a 2003 Tribute! My 'Check Engine Light' came on recently and I took it to Autozone to get an OBD reading. The code was P0442--EVAP control system leak detected. The probable causes came out as : 1. Faulty Fuel Cap 2. Canister Faulty 3. Purge valve solenoid faulty 4. Damaged/Leaking EVAP hose 5. Faulty EVAP leak detection pump.

I want to pursue the simplest route first so I want to look into replacing the fuel cap. I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar code and if the problem was solved by replacing the fuel cap. If so, any recommendations on a fuel cap to purchase?

Also, how can I reset the service light? I've read some things online about this suggesting that it needs to be reset by the OBD scan machine...?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Highly recommend you buy this;

http://www.obdcom.com/?gclid=CKzVrsjByaICFQkXawodK22VxQ

For the price you can't beat it and it works great for reading and clearing codes. Also allows you to do some real time diagnostics.

I also occasionally receive the same (or similar code) but mine states that it is a minor evap control system leak (don't remember the code number). My original gas cap cracked which i replaced with an aftermarket cap that doesn't quite fit like the OEM cap did. I suspect that in my case it is just the cap. I usually only receive the code every few months or so. I would recommend springing the extra cash for an OEM cap.

Tom