Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

05' tribute 4cyl Battery Light/Starting probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Default 05' tribute 4cyl Battery Light/Starting probs

Howdy guys - I been looking all over this forum and seen some great advice, but no-one with my exact prob yet, so I figured I'd ask...

Problem started about three weeks ago. The battery light began to go on and off intermittently while riding. Certain times after sitting for a few hours, vehicle would not crank, turn over or anything. All the lights, locks, windows ( all power ) worked fine and do not seem sluggish when this happens. After sitting for a few minutes, and constantly trying to crank it many times, it will just turn over and start right up with no sluggishness. Had an adv auto tech check and replace the battery ( it was under warranty ), but the tech assured me that the battery he removed was fine, not dead or low in power.

I've thought starter, but i feel like I'd hear that little "clicking" noise ive heard before on other dead starters. I've thought alternator, but shouldnt that first battery have been dead if that were true? I have checked some other things out i've read on the forum:
-corrosion on leads coming into underhood fusebox - checked ok
- could not find any "ROOM" fuse - ???
- not sure about where that IAC valve is on my tribute

Any other suggestions? This forum is pretty awesome, by the way.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Better start checking your grounds. Disconnect the battery negative. Follow the battery negative cable to where it is bolted to the chassis. Slack off the hardware and using some penetrating oil and a brass bristle suede brush, clean up that area. Now go over to the alternator side of the engine. there should be another ground there which is connected to the engine block (perhaps on the engine mount). Clean that up too. While you're at it check the alternator belt and tension, and the alternator connections. Also be sure the alternator mounting bolts are not loose.
Now go to the engine compartment fusebox, open it up and you'll see a fuse that is a big bolt down one (as opposed to the others which are plug-in). Check those fuse connections too. Reconnect the battery negative terminal and with everything off, check the battery voltage. It should be about 12.5V. Try an engine start, and at fast idle, you should see 13.5 - 14.5V on the battery.
Note, if your no-load battery voltage is below 12V, you'll have to get it charged, or put booster cables on your car, because the alternator may not charge if the no-load battery volts are below 12V.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Ok so an update....continued to have problems with this vehicle, however, here's what i have done -

Checked all grounds for corrosion or other damage - negative. Did not see a fuse in the underhood fusebox that was bolted in...??? All the fuses in there look fine. Had a neighbor come over and diagnose the problem with it not cranking, and he grabs a pair of channel locks and reaches up in the engine compartment from below, smacking the side of the starter while i tried to crank. After about 30 smacks, up she cranks. SO, he feels sure, starter issue. NOW, I do not doubt that. After it got cranked, I drove it around two minutes, and the battery light comes on and off 4 times. I get it home, I put it up on ramps (still running) and look around up under. Just behind the bumper, there is a small black wire running from a ground point on the forward frame to a small plastic box mounted to a peice of angle iron that is bolted on the side of the oilpan. It has a "Ford" logo on it. Some sort of relay, I guess - but the wire is chewed up - nearly totally seperated.( find out later, this comes from where my little sis likes to park RIGHT UP ON the curb at school, dragging this area of the bumper daily ) Nonetheless, i risk it not cranking again and shut it off, and disconnect the battery terminals. I cut and repair this wire. Get back in, she cranks right up, I drive for 5 mins. NO BATTERY LIGHT. Have since driven it several times into town = no battery light, cranked about 10 times.

SO, my question is - what is that little black box? I gather that that probably why the battery light kept coming on and off, but could that little wire have anything to do with the vehicle cranking up? ( as I said, I still think starter )

Thanks for all yalls help.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Got me; the only thing that would make sense would be something like the engine knock sensor, but even that would be better to be mounted directly to the engine block.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM

Check the starter bolts. I have found some of them loose, and the main ground wire from the battery attaches to the starter bolt. make sure you have tight connections. Hope this helps