Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

06 Tribute 2.3L wont start, dies after a jump-

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Default 06 Tribute 2.3L wont start, dies after a jump-

Can you run with a dead battery AND a bad alternator? Ive been running and starting fine until this morning wouldnt start so I pop started it in gear to go to the parts store across town and have them check the alternator and probably buy a new one to replace it. I just did the battery and starter, so if I had a dead battery this morning after a long, perfectly fine drive yesterday I have to assume my alternator is done- right?

my 06 tribute (2.3L manual) wouldnt start this morning after seemingly running fine so I pop started it in gear thinking the alternator was perhaps bad (I put in a new starter and battery less than a month ago) to go to the store and have them check the alternator/ buy a new one when not far down the road I noticed none of the instruments on the dash were working, I felt it run funny for a moment so i turned back home. on the way I tried the wipers and they were super weak and window wouldnt go back up and radio not turn on....so I figured the battery must be super dead or bad fuse/relay somewhere.
Checked all the fuses upon returning home and found that both 20a "power point" fuses, one under the hood fusebox and the inside passenger fuesbox ones, were blown.
All attempts at starting vehicle with the key only result in continuous clicking and a wierd little shuddering vibration of the needles on the instrument clusters for a few seconds after discontinuing turning over the key. Idk, I hope this is all just cause the battery is fully dead.
I got my neighbor to give me quick jump and while it fired up immediately- it only ran for less than five minutes at idle in my carport before dying on its own. It seemed to rev up ok while I had it running then died on its own

I was under the impression I could drive with a dead battery for a ways if i could pop start it but either this isnt the case or there is something more complex at work.....hopefully its just the battery is way too low to run the car for long with a dead alternator. My plan is to go get an alternator and see if someone has a battery charger

thanks for any insight!