Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2 questions about my 2001 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Default 2 questions about my 2001 tribute

I got a 2001 tribute about a year ago, and have been really happy with it so far, but I do have two questions.

First of all, I took it to a shop and they said the rotors were warped and needed to be replaced. I asked him about having them resurfaced and he said that there are no specs on resurfacing, so he would have to put new ones one it. Is he talking out his ***, or is this a true statement?

Secondly, there is a problem with the airbags. Every time I start the car there is a bell that comes from the dashboard and rings 5 times, and repeats that 5 times. Then repeats that every 30 minutes. After looking in the manual it says that its a SRS warning alarm, and I shoudl take it to the dealership. Does anyone here know of a way to disable that alarm until I am able to get it to a shop, it is driving me absolutly bonkers and its going to be at least a week or two before I can bring it in.

Also as seen posted below my oil pan gasket is leaking too, blargs .. not a huge deal and I should be able to get if fixed on my warranty from carmax, just a pain in the butt. Anyways if anyone has an answer to either of my questions I would be really happy.

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Default RE: 2 questions about my 2001 tribute

TRIBUTE FRONT PADS AND ROTORS ACTUALLY WEAR TOGETHER.

THE MIN. SPEC FOR THE ROTOR IS 22MM

I WOULDNT ADVISE GOING LOWER THEN THAT WHEN TAKING THE LATHE TO THE ROTORS.

FOR YOUR AIRBAG LIGHT

CHECK THE CONNECTORS UNDER YOUR DRIVERS AND PASSENGER SEAT. THE ONES THAT LOOK LIKE THEY CONNECT TO THE SEATBELT.

THEY ALWAYS COME LOOSE.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Old 01-26-2006, 05:53 AM

In fact the rotors often times are worn below minimum thickness way before the pads are even close. [:@]You noted the chime and MAZDASERVICE is very right on the connector. The connectors are mostly yellow and white and are around 3/4" square by 1.5" long. You do not need to disconnect but only give them a little wiggle. Mazda has been trying to fix this problem for years. Strange though that you do not make any mention of the SRS light on the dash being on because it should be unless perhaps the bulb is burnt out. Do you have a light on and/or does it come on for 5 sesconds or so after startup??

Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 AM

Oddly, it would go on and off for awhile, and I had never gotten around to fixing it. The light stopped coming on until around the time the chime started. I will get under there today and see if I can find the problem. Thanks for the advice.