Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Mazda Tribute DX 2.0 l (Manual) drive issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Exclamation 2001 Mazda Tribute DX 2.0 l (Manual) drive issue

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue. Just replaced the shift cables for the Manual transmission and the Tribute was driving great. Then it began "losing" power and eventually (after about 2 weeks) started "locking-up".

What I mean by that is, if you put it into first gear (engine running) and drive forward about 5-10 feet, it starts dragging and then locks (similar to hitting the brakes). You have to rock the vehicle a bit to get it out of gear. Then when you put it into reverse, the same thing happens.

I considered it may be the transfer case, but it doesn't really make sense because the shifter itself gets locked in gear until you "bump" the transmission a little and then you can get it out of gear. I also considered it may be clutch related, but I don't notice any slippage. So, I am thinking it may actually be the transmission itself (I believe the first gear and reverse gear are probably on the same "line" as my other cars are).

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should look at first? Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the new cables because I can't see how they would affect that. The bad part is, I have a Haynes manual that shows nothing for the internals of the transmission and I can't find any drawings on line to help me map out what might be happening.

If I get stuck in first, I can "bump" it out using a quick clutch in and out motion while pushing the shifter out of gear.

Very odd problem I have never seen before.

Thanks in advance!