Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2003 Tribute - Air bag readiness / airbag light flashes and stays on - solved / fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 11:39 PM
Default 2003 Tribute - Air bag readiness / airbag light flashes and stays on - solved / fixed

Just thought I'd share this in case someone finds this.

Referred to a good ol' ChrisFix video:
Quite similar, it's a Mazda branded Ford, just like the Tribute.

Air bag light was flashing like several times to give me a code, and then stays on, just like in the video. Ended up being the same issue, the connectors probably got dirty, rusted / oxidized, etc.
Items / tools I used:
  • 99% isopropyl / rubbing alcohol
  • Can of compressed air
  • Dielectric grease
  • Ratchet to disconnect negative battery terminal
Here are the steps I did to get the air bag light off.
  1. If your seat is electric powered, adjust it so you have access to the wires underneath first. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait at least 10 minutes; don't want to trigger the airbag.
  2. There might be several wires, depending on if yours is equipped with electric seats. Disconnect them all. The one under the seat that's attached to a canister looking thing; mine was red coloured.
  3. Spray down the connectors with rubbing / 99% isopropyl alcohol; it dries very quickly. Then use compressed air to blow out any debris in the connectors on both sides.
    1. If it's really rusty / oxidized, you might need a brush to something abrasive and thin to scrape them clean for a good connection.
  4. Insert the connectors in and out several times and then blow again with compressed air (maybe alcohol too).
  5. Add dielectric grease to the connectors and re-connect them all. Connect the battery and check.
Dielectric grease will prevent water / moisture from accumulating there again.