Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2005 tribute 3.0 pcm and coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 02:12 PM
Default 2005 tribute 3.0 pcm and coils

Just came to the conclusion that I need to replace the pcm in my 2005,,where is a good place to get one,and have read a couple places that the coils should be replace also but with money being alil tight for oem coils what is a good aftermarket coil,if there is a good one,thank u in advance for any ones responce

Old 02-22-2023, 12:42 PM

I need to check this forum more often. Check rockauto for parts. been using em for 8 years, they're legit. Denso, NGK, and Hitachi are all premium/cutting edge coil manufacturers, so you can take your pick.
As for the PCM, you can use flagship one.. kinda a pain in the a$$ and slow.. (plan on 2 weeks minimum to get yer stuff) I'd recommend making a phone call vs. online order so as to verify you'll get the EXACT pcm you need. but it comes preprogrammed and you can add extra keys to your order if needed. If you do not presently have at least 2 keys, get keys.. cuz you need 2 to program and disable the immobilizer.

What fault are you experiencing?.. Cuz I ran into a coil problem that was god awful.. caused by someone having had removed the radio interference capacitor. It acted like the PCM was bad. These older design coils dont have built in capacitors apparently.

A new RIC cost me $18 from Ford. tell em you have an escape if necessary, they are literally the same car and every major component has a ford logo on it.

Old 02-22-2023, 02:49 PM

AmmaTribute Welcome to the forum

Old 03-18-2023, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by AmmaTribute
Just came to the conclusion that I need to replace the pcm in my 2005,,where is a good place to get one,and have read a couple places that the coils should be replace also but with money being alil tight for oem coils what is a good aftermarket coil,if there is a good one,thank u in advance for any ones responce
If you haven't finished this up yet, my recommendation would be to send the PCM to Circuit Board Medics. They will rebuild it in a coupe of days and you won't need to change keys or have it programmed at the dealer.

For coils, I would go for Motorcraft (they have two, both good) or Denso (who makes one of the two Motorcraft coils for Ford). Use either Motorcraft or Autolite plugs.

John

Old 03-21-2023, 10:06 AM

Thanks john,,got another email put it in along with ngk could and plugs,cured the code problem but now when I put it in gear it's like it's starving for gas,,this started as I was driving down the interstate,thought it was fuel pump so I replace it and the filter,,still did it with no check engine light so I replaced the map sensor along with the vacuum lines that run to it,still have the problem and still no check engine light so I'm wondering if those ngk plugs are bad? Any idea ?