Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2008 liftgate latch issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Default 2008 liftgate latch issue

I have a 2008 Mazda tribute and I have a issue with the lift gate switch. For some reason the switch that is behind the badge above the license plate only works when the headlights are off. When you unlock the car using the button on the key, the headlights come on for approximately 30 seconds. During that time if you depress the switch will not open the lift gate. After the the time is up and the headlights go off, the switch works as expected. It took awhile for me to figure this out, first I thought that it was caused by moisture because it would happen in the early mourning or evening. Then one day it was dark and I was gong to drop off the garbage on the way to work and I unlocked the car with the button on the key, the head lights came on and the lift gate wouldn't open. I kept depressing the switch over and over and then I noticed that at the same instance the lights went off the switch now worked. To prove this further that evening when I came home form work I had the lights on and I went to the back of the vehicle and tried to open the hatchback and sure enough it would no open. I then turned the headlights off and the switch would open the hatchback normally. Has any one else experienced this issue? If so have you found the cure? Please let us know...
Thanks in advance, Rob