Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Best Wax??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Default Best Wax??

What wax have you guys found to be the:
1. Easiest to buff out by hand
2. longest lasting?

Thank you,.....marc
Best Wax??

What wax have you guys found to be:

1. The easiest to take off
2. The longest lasting?

Thank you,....marc

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Thumbs up

I think Turtle Wax Carnuba wax works pretty well - easy to use. Thing is, it doesn't seem to last too long. In fact, I remember reading a Consumer Reports article, and after testing many automotive waxes, found that most dont last more than a couple of months.

3/4 of the time, my Tribute is out of the sun and in the garage. Therefore, I dont think I am going to wax it anymore. Doesn't seem to offer any advantage for me.

On a side note, Tributes/Escapes/Mariners don't seem to rust quickly, or suffer from paint fading, chipping, etc. I live in a snowy area with lots of road salt in the winter, and I still am not seeing rust even on the first Escapes/Tributes, which date back to 2000 (2001 models). Hats off to the painters at the Kansas City, MO Ford plant where our vehicles were assembled and painted!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Meguiars - hands down, the best. Check out www.meguiars.com, and anything you find there you can't go wrong. I especially like the Deep Crystal 1-2-3 system, which includes a Cleaner, Polish and Carnuba Wax, each a separate bottle. I've used it for years, and in my experience, the finish still looked like it just came off the showroom floor, no kidding. Another personal experience note: after finishing with the Meguiar's, I could take a terry cloth towel, toss it on the hood, and it'd slide clear across and off as if on ice/glass.

You will need to devote a good half of the day to wax the car, but you shouldn't need to do so anymore than once, maybe twice a year. Trust me, though, you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by falcaineer
Meguiars - hands down, the best. Check out www.meguiars.com, and anything you find there you can't go wrong. I especially like the Deep Crystal 1-2-3 system, which includes a Cleaner, Polish and Carnuba Wax, each a separate bottle. I've used it for years, and in my experience, the finish still looked like it just came off the showroom floor, no kidding. Another personal experience note: after finishing with the Meguiar's, I could take a terry cloth towel, toss it on the hood, and it'd slide clear across and off as if on ice/glass.

You will need to devote a good half of the day to wax the car, but you shouldn't need to do so anymore than once, maybe twice a year. Trust me, though, you won't be disappointed.
But to actually answer your other question the wax, etc., goes on easily with a terrycloth towel, and buffs off by hand the same way.