Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Clicking engine noise on v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Default Clicking engine noise on v6

Hey guys i have an 06 V6 tribute with 122k.

went to get the mail today and heard this clicking noise, revved up the engine and the noise sped up as well.

when i got back home i opened the hood and checked it out at night w a flashlight.

It seemed liked the clicking was coming from the water pump, and near the water pump looked wet.

its late here and it was dark so thats all the time i had for now.

could it be that the water pump is bad now? I’m not sure it’s ever been replaced.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM

Well wetness around the pump may indicate it is leaking obviously, not sure about the clicking but if its coming from the pump itself then maybe, alternatively the clicking could be a lifter near the pump and unrelated. If you temporarily remove the pump drivebelt does the clicking continue? If so likely its a lifter.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Well wetness around the pump may indicate it is leaking obviously, not sure about the clicking but if its coming from the pump itself then maybe, alternatively the clicking could be a lifter near the pump and unrelated. If you temporarily remove the pump drivebelt does the clicking continue? If so likely its a lifter.
If it's a lifter is that a bad thing? Is there a way to fix?

Here's a video of it https://youtu.be/kpZgXuzdLFg

Last edited by boostmg; 10-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 PM
ipn

Hear that flap flap dull sound = not good , take it to a mechanic for the explanation .

Old 10-29-2019, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
If it's a lifter is that a bad thing? Is there a way to fix?

Here's a video of it https://youtu.be/kpZgXuzdLFg
Sounds like 1/2 engine speed so definitely points to the cam/lifter. Lifters can be replaced but a bit involved releasing the cam chain and camshaft to access, never done it on the V6 so no direct experience to offer.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Sounds like 1/2 engine speed so definitely points to the cam/lifter. Lifters can be replaced but a bit involved releasing the cam chain and camshaft to access, never done it on the V6 so no direct experience to offer.
Makes sense. Do u think it can be adjusted?

i put some liquimoly hydro litter additive in the oil but it’s srill there. I might put a little more in.

is this harmful or just annoying?

Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 PM

I would class it as annoying mostly, depends if it is changing and getting more harsh. AFAIK they are hydraulic lifters, if the noise is continuous then performance will be slightly down as that valve won't be opening properly. If the noise is only at startup then less of a problem. To fix means removing the camshaft and replacing the lifter, it can't be adjusted...

Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Just an update. I found this TSB http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/M...-01-031-07.pdf

Sounds exactly like my problem. I’m going to call the dealer when they’re open to see if they will do it but maybe they won’t.

If they don’t, from looking at this, it sounds like it’s a matter of taking off the valve cover removing the cam shaft top holder pieces and retorquing the screws in sequence?

Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Sounds like it - with the special treatment of cap number 8 or 4 depending on method.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Sounds like it - with the special treatment of cap number 8 or 4 depending on method.
Yea i wonder what’s actually happening. It’s during operating temp which is weird.

Their solution makes it sound like some kind of tolerance issue. Ghetto fix IMO.

Quick Reply: Clicking engine noise on v6