Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Correct ATF

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:18 AM
Default What is Correct ATF

Help! I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute with 151,000 miles (72,000 on the transmission, I had it replaced several years ago), that I want to replace the transmission fluid using the transmission pump method. The manual says to use ATF type III-H but I also read that there is a service bulletin (which I don't have access to) that says to use Mercon V instead. The internet says all sorts of different things. I tried going to AllDataDIY.com but my vehicle isn't offered. How do I find out the CORRECT fluid to use? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by WWiggy; 03-21-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:58 AM

I recommend that if your are going to change your fluid in that fashion to re-consider and at least do a pan filter service instead.
I also use almost daily at the shop AllData and another service advisory subscription service and did find your vehicle but it only refers basically to FSM for fluid type.

Here is some useful information about which was on the internet.

Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid: Unimark Multi-Purpose D-III/M ATF
Most lubricant manufacturers use this generic term for their automatic transmission fluid which meets the former General Motors Dexron III and Ford Mercon specifications which are no longer licensable by GM and Ford respectively.

Mercon Type H: An obsoleted Ford specification that differs from both General Motors Dexron and Ford Type F transmission fluids. It can be replaced by Mercon or Mercon V specification.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I recommend that if your are going to change your fluid in that fashion to re-consider and at least do a pan filter service instead.
I also use almost daily at the shop AllData and another service advisory subscription service and did find your vehicle but it only refers basically to FSM for fluid type.

Here is some useful information about which was on the internet.

Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid: Unimark Multi-Purpose D-III/M ATF
Most lubricant manufacturers use this generic term for their automatic transmission fluid which meets the former General Motors Dexron III and Ford Mercon specifications which are no longer licensable by GM and Ford respectively.

Mercon Type H: An obsoleted Ford specification that differs from both General Motors Dexron and Ford Type F transmission fluids. It can be replaced by Mercon or Mercon V specification.
Callisto,
Thanks for the reply. The '03 Tribute doesn't have a pan that can be removed (I wish it did), also it doesn't have a transmission filter (it has a screen inside the transmission that is not serviceable). From the internet information you posted it looks like MERCON V is a acceptable replacement. I am just really concerned and cautious because I know the wrong fluid can ruin a transmission.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

I always use the Castrol Lube Guide, which recommends DXIII ATF

Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 PM
ipn

Out here there is a large auto chain , in it they have around 6 or more makers of ATF , i look at the "comparable with" on the bottles and pick the cheapest .

Usually a DX-111 , DID A COMPLETE DRAIN (VIA THE PULL HOSE METHOD) , ain't had a drama for 2 years so far .